Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radial vs bias  (Read 991 times)

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Radial vs bias
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »

I have a 07 serk, with Radial tires. seems like most hd have bias ply tires. Why is this and also can I change to bias ply on the serk?    Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Radial vs bias
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 06:32:06 AM »

well you need both the same, both radials, or both bias

radials theoretically should last longer and handle better, but nobody makes radials with a high enough load rating for ultras

most sport bikes have radials, sticky soft tires, that can still last if you don't whap at it every day.

to

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 08:48:02 AM »

I have a 07 serk, with Radial tires. seems like most hd have bias ply tires. Why is this and also can I change to bias ply on the serk?    Billy

IF you can find the correct size and load rating to properly fit your wheels, there is no reason I can think of why you couldn't switch to bias ply (front and rear).  It's not like Harley changed anything else in the steering geometry or suspension to accomodate the radials, all they did was change the wheels and tires.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »

Just curious, why do you want to run the bias ply tires instead of the radials?
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »

I  was just looking to find other brands of tires to fit , because of the radials it limits me to just Metzlers or Dunlop. The first 2 sets of Dunlops cupped by 5 k The next 3 sets of Metzlers also cup by 5 k.  Rear tires only Tire pressures is checked regularly and I ride solo. The bike handles great Ak 20 in front Bitubos in back. Since 95 % of the rest of HD's have  Bias I thought it might be better. Thanks Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »

You could try going bias, the tires will probably be less expensive - but have you had the alignment checked?  How are the swingarm bushings?

Just throwing things out there off the top of my head that might affect rear tire wear like you describe  :nixweiss:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

Yes all has been checked     This has been ongoing since the bike was new.   Have a few shops and many tech check out everything. So I guess it tires .  Thanks Billy

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 06:26:28 AM »

worth the try, who knows.

radial tires are actually considered sport tires - 3k acceptable, lots of grip, good handling very soft

the hope is that the radial construction will get them to last a reasonable amount of time with a soft composition

to

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 08:23:51 AM »

Good luck with your search.  My 08 has the same wheel/tire set up.  Best riding HD I've ridden but she's a tire eater.  I can usually get right around 9000 on the rear.  I check my air pressure more so than any other bike.  If you find something better, keep us posted.

JW

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.