Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 50K Service questions  (Read 2883 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 50K Service questions
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 01:30:51 AM »

Don
Is there a complete Listing somewhere that shows everything to be done for a 50K Service?
My Neighbor and his brother will both be due this year.
My SERK will probably be early next year.

DR

Will attach the 50k schedule to this post Dennis.  Click on the link just below and you'll be able to download the PDF.

The whole scheduled service thing from Harley is a bit of hocus pocus for revenue generation.  It's all just the same thorough check throughs we all should be doing regularly at every oil change with the occasional extra for things like fork oil or a brake fluid flush. 

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »

Will attach the 50k schedule to this post Dennis.  Click on the link just below and you'll be able to download the PDF.

The whole scheduled service thing from Harley is a bit of hocus pocus for revenue generation.  It's all just the same thorough check throughs we all should be doing regularly at every oil change with the occasional extra for things like fork oil or a brake fluid flush. 

Thank You Don.

I agree. After looking at that list, much I do already.

DR
Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:24:22 AM »

Hey all,

Getting prepared for my 50K service (actually bike has 55K but had an off frame rebuild back in late 2004).

I usually bring the bike in every other year to have the dealer do the 10K  service (I do the 5K, air filter, plugs, and all fluid changes).

Steering head and swing arm are ok and I will wait until they actually need replacement since you need to disassemble them to check them.

I had major engine work done in late 2008 only for replacing the chain cam to gear cams (got rid of the cam tensioners, new crank, backplate, rebuilt fueling Oil pump, timken bearing etc).

Here I am at 84,000+ miles and shake my head when I hear the "service" word.  I have owned motorcycles since the 60s and have never changed fork oil, disassembled a swing arm or steering head.  On my 08 CUSE3, I haven't changed the fuel filter either.  I just changed plugs cause they showed some electrode wear.  I have flushed the brakes (by "I", I do mean me).  Other than that, I have changed engine & primary oil 20 times and tranny every 10K miles.  Aside from checking fastener tightness, I don't do nothin' else.  I do see some belt wear; probably will need a new belt and pulleys @ 100K.  I've changed the rear brake pads twice; fronts are still original.
Paying the dealer for "service" is a serious waste of $$...period.

Last HD service was 2/2010 40K.

Questions
Fuel filter - had it changed in 2009 at 38K, anyone suggest changing it now or wait until the 25K interval (I have the kit already)?
Front fork fluid change - service is suggested at 25K and 50K (running progressive springs).
Bleeding brakes/clutch - service suggest to inspect at 5K intervals.
Zipper’s Tapered Adjustable Pushrod #403-088 - previous tech suggested just checking for play when cylinder is at TDC and try to spin the PR.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 25 queries.