Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V&H exhausts and quiet baffles  (Read 4294 times)

Ken_CVO

V&H exhausts and quiet baffles
« on: May 01, 2013, 04:41:42 PM »

I am in the process of purchasing an exhaust for the bike, but where I live I have to be cautious on noise....

I have done some research and read the forum. Am I correct in saying that a 2 into 1 is quieter than a 2 into 2? But performance will be better on the 2 into 1 (especially torque)?

Then, I have found out that V&H offer the option of quiet baffles on all their exhausts except on the Big Radius 2 into 2 specifically designed for the Breakout. But if I get the softail version, I have the option.

For the ones that have tested quiet baffles on their exhausts (on the Breakout or previous HD's), is there a major difference with them on? Can they easily be removed?

Thanks for the help and info

Dell boy

• Junior CVO Member
Re: V&H exhausts and quiet baffles
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »

Ken

I have them on the straight shot slip ons and had them on a set of staggered big shots on my Fatty -they are very easy to remove just 1 allen screw and a pair of pliars to pull the baffle out. You may have seen my post on noise where with the quite baffles I get 104DB at idle & 109DB half throttle.
I am looking for something a bit less loud and want a 2-1.
I need to try to get a reading on the V&H radius 2-1 which some of the guys here have said are a bit quieter but have not found one yet and some of the other options before buying a system..

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »

I am in the process of purchasing an exhaust for the bike, but where I live I have to be cautious on noise....

I have done some research and read the forum. Am I correct in saying that a 2 into 1 is quieter than a 2 into 2? But performance will be better on the 2 into 1 (especially torque)?

Then, I have found out that V&H offer the option of quiet baffles on all their exhausts except on the Big Radius 2 into 2 specifically designed for the Breakout. But if I get the softail version, I have the option.

For the ones that have tested quiet baffles on their exhausts (on the Breakout or previous HD's), is there a major difference with them on? Can they easily be removed?

Thanks for the help and info

This info may help you

Ken_CVO

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »

Dellboy, I saw your post and the DB's you got from the exhausts. I heard a set of V&H's at my dealer (not sure if they had baffles), but found them much to loud for me, let alone my neighbors would probably go mad. I think I prefer the 2 into 2, find it suits the Breakout better. I will let you know for sure once I have made my decision and what kind of DB's I get.

RedMoon, thanks again for the precious links. I think the V&H baffles seem to be the ones that will reduce the noise. After watching the two videos, It seems it's a good thing to have baffles for back pressure and performance. From my understanding, the Breakout CVO specific exhaust from V&H doesn't have a baffle? Can anyone confirm this? Or is it just that they are built in and can't be removed? Again, if I understand correctly, and that the specific exhaust doesn't have baffles, I am better off with the normal Softail ones with the baffles for performance? Would it be possible to retrofit a set of V&H baffles to the specific CVO Breakout exhaust?

Does the fact that the CVO has a 110 engine change anything? Can any exhaust cope with the extra displacement?

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »

The 2 into 2s are LOUD!  I personally don't think it's loud, but my wife said she could hear me coming for atleast 30 seconds before she saw me.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »

+1.  The V/H 2-2's are pretty loud on my Breakout..I don't think they are as loud as the straight shots or side shots though. 
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dell boy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »

I thought I would have a look at the quite baffles in mine - pulled em out and found the wrapping material had moved down the baffle and exposed the first set of holes in the back section which I guess happens when they are put in. Anyway rewrapped and this time put lock wire around the wrapping its a wee bit less loud now

RedMoon

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE 3
    • CVO2: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »

[quote author= the Breakout CVO specific exhaust from V&H doesn't have a baffle? Can anyone confirm this? Or is it just that they are built in and can't be removed? Again, if I understand correctly, and that the specific exhaust doesn't have baffles, I am better off with the normal Softail ones with the baffles for performance? Would it be possible to retrofit a set of V&H baffles to the specific CVO Breakout exhaust?

Does the fact that the CVO has a 110 engine change anything? Can any exhaust cope with the extra displacement?

[/quote]Ken, if you need more information about baffles, contact Arsenio Avellaneda at V/H
 p.  562 .921 .7461
 f.   562 .802 .0110
 e.  arsenio@vanceandhines.com

Ken_CVO

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »

Thanks for all the replies

I will give V&H a call later on to see if they can find a solution, or at least one that could work for me.

Will keep you posted

Ken_CVO

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »

Called V&H, they say you can install the following baffles which will quieten it down http://www.bigcitythunder.com

And the V&H exhaust for the breakout does have baffles but are difficult to remove.

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.