Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better sound by insulating...with insulation  (Read 3794 times)

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Better sound by insulating...with insulation
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »

Hey,

I thought I would share this with everyone.  I installed my Daymaker LED's on my RG, while I had the fairing off, I wanted to see in filling the fairing up with something that would let air pass would improve sound and bass response?  I grabbed a chuck of Owens Corning insulation, cut a square piece and used two face tape to mount it to the inside of the fairing behind the speaker.  The sound difference was very noticable, much deeper and cleaner sound.  Thought i would pass it along for you to try next time you have your fairing off...it was worth it!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

CVO Brian

• Full CVO Member
  • Baggers- Not just for grandpa anymore

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Orange and Black
Re: Better sound by insulating...with insulation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:27:49 AM »

Your local Car Stereo store also makes a product Called Dyno Matt that is actually made for Car doors and Trunks. You cut to size and peel the tape and stick it on. Works incredible in my opinion. Bout 35-40 covers your Speaker area. I put it right behind the speakers
V&H True Duals
Rinehart 4" Chrome Pipes
Trucklite ph 7 w/ passing lamps
Pollished front rotors
SE Race Tuner
SE Chisel Air Cleaner
Wild1 Chubby 578 10" Bars
TP Removal System
CVO SG Stretch Bags and Rear Fender
CVO SG 110 Derby Cover

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

Great tip, Rio.   :2vrolijk_21:  For what it's worth, J&M, (and I presume others) sells speaker packages with insulation already cut to fit the batwing or shark fairing.   I have the J&M which sound great.   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 01:41:18 PM »

Great tip, Rio.   :2vrolijk_21:  For what it's worth, J&M, (and I presume others) sells speaker packages with insulation already cut to fit the batwing or shark fairing.   I have the J&M which sound great.   :2vrolijk_21:

I have the J&M speakers too.  The 4" Owens Corning insulation seems to fill the space but because air can pass through it seems to take away any hollow type sound?  If by chance it gets wet, the stuff is designed to dry out quickly too.  I know the sound pad is supposed to reflect the sound, not exactly sure what technical engineering effect Owens Corning has on the sound other than it works!    I got the idea from some old 12" loud speakers, they used an insulation material in cabinet of the speaker.  I bought a strip pre-bagged at Home Depot used to fill the space around door framing.  It seems to have eliminated any vibration noise from the fairing too.  It was a $4.59 investment.
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »

I've been reading a lot about doing this with Polyfill also. About $4 a bag at wally world. It can also be use to line the speaker pods on the tour pack.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:22:31 AM »

I've been reading a lot about doing this with Polyfill also. About $4 a bag at wally world. It can also be use to line the speaker pods on the tour pack.

I suppose that would probably work better in the pods, but really, a strip of Owens Corning, a sissors, cut it square or if you want to get fancy and cut the contour of the inside of your fairing, put some two faced tape on the back side and thats it!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:18:58 PM »

The street rod and pro touring guys will tell you that  Dynamatt or one of the knock-offs is a lot better than any open cell/fiberglas insulation over time and comes with peel off back making it very easy to apply. I have lined the complete inside of my fairing, added twetters at the same time and sound was definitely better. Stereo stores, Street Rod shops etc all have Dynamat.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »

I have the J&M speakers too.  The 4" Owens Corning insulation seems to fill the space but because air can pass through it seems to take away any hollow type sound?  If by chance it gets wet, the stuff is designed to dry out quickly too.  I know the sound pad is supposed to reflect the sound, not exactly sure what technical engineering effect Owens Corning has on the sound other than it works!    I got the idea from some old 12" loud speakers, they used an insulation material in cabinet of the speaker.  I bought a strip pre-bagged at Home Depot used to fill the space around door framing.  It seems to have eliminated any vibration noise from the fairing too.  It was a $4.59 investment.
Hope you don't invite any unwanted guests in your fairing. Them little bastages like to build nests up by the speakers and then chew on pretty colored wires. :'(

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 21 queries.