Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want new exhaust, but some concerns re: 2009 CVO Road Glide  (Read 4877 times)

searay540

• Silver---the fastest one!
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon/Black Diamond/Burgundy Blaze
Want new exhaust, but some concerns re: 2009 CVO Road Glide
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:07:23 PM »

Hello all,

Decided it is now time to get rid of the cat converter, and just replace the entire exhaust system. One question I have is specific to my bike, and that is if I replace (am looking at V&H), do the "extended" saddle bags interfere with any new exhaust system, or conversely, will a new exhaust system interfere with the "look" (do the pipes stick out far enough, etc)?

Also considering true duels (V&H Big Shots), but I thought I read somewhere better performance is with the 2-1-2. If that is true, is it significant?

Finally, would be interested in what others may have replaced their stock exhaust with on a 2009 CVO RG.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sam

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Want new exhaust, but some concerns re: 2009 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:23:58 PM »

Sam, the extended saddlebags do not interfere with aftermarket exhaust nor the other way around.  There is a plethora of choices.  In 2009, there were few aftermarket options. Many of us "de-catted" the bikes ourselves and replaced the muffler baffles with baffles from Fullsac.  They are in Lake Havasu, CA.  That gives you sound and performance without changing the stock look.  You might want to talk to Steve who runs that firm. Finally, I think most agree here that the 2 into 2 system will result in a lost of low end torque unless you have the appropriate mods to accommodate it.  Try the search function here. There are plenty of threads on these issues

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »

I have the V&H PowerDuals (2-1-2 X pipe) w/ Roland Sands Design mufflers on the '09 and Love 'em. The fit, finish, sound and performance is perfect for me.
The system fits perfectly in the saddle bags and the flat black heat shields on the mufflers look awesome with the graphics on the '09 SERG, they look like they were made for the bike.
PM me and I will email you a pic or 2 if you want.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

searay540

• VA

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:35 AM »

Steve and FlaHeatWave,

Thanks for your responses. I remember all the discussion years ago about de-catting the headers yourself, but I really don't have the time nor expertise to go that route.

I am curious:What are the pros and cons of switching to true duals, or staying with the 2-1-2 setup? Is there really that much difference?

Thanks again!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »

2 into 1 = most horse power / torque, I personally don't care for the looks (especially on baggers like the '09 SERG) or sound

2-1-2 = better looks (balanced) / sound, while still maintaining good hp/t the tc motor likes the harmonics and back pressure that the 'crossover' gives.

true duals= looks / sound that some people prefer, an Indy friend of mine who has installed more exhaust systems than anybody I know, swears by the Reinharts, he says they have the backpressure dialed in, and he gets good results with them.
My dealer tech likes duals because they allow him to tune each cylinder individually
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 06:32:11 PM »

I run the same V&H 2-1-2 head pipe as FlaHeat on my 09 SERG except I run the Rinehart slip-on mufflers and very happy. Something to think about if you want to retain the stock look of your bike would be the Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipe as I will use your existing heat shields and help your bottom end torque. A buddy of mine runs them on his 09 SERG. As for the extended bags, it all up to what you like for looks and for sound as they will all fit. Good luck
David
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Cosmic Charlie

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »

2 into 1 = most horse power / torque, I personally don't care for the looks (especially on baggers like the '09 SERG) or sound

2 into 1 - with the 2nd pipe a Ghost Pipe (best of both worlds) looks & performance

now for sound - that conversation can go on FOREVER
2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange RG SE 110
D&D Boss Fat Cats with Ghost Pipe
CeeBaileysSuperStepContour14"
TTS Tuner
Ohlin's #3-3
J&M 7 1/4's & 250 amp
Utopia Drivers Back Rest

Nothing Left To Do But Smile Smile Smile

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 06:41:53 AM »

I've got a catless head pipe that I'd sell you fairly cheaply if you want to go that route with Fulsac baffles.  It's not a cut one, just off of a bike that didn't have a cat originally, on my bike about 2 yrs before I put a Fulsac pipe on it.  Send an email if interested.
Steve

tomjetty

• Tom is Dreaming

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »

I bought a set of headers & baffles, with a tune from Fulsac. It was the best mod I ever made to a bike. I love the power and sound. Call Fulsac & speak to them.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »

FULLSAC :2vrolijk_21:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

FL54

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1948 Panhead
    • CVO2: '09 SERG
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

Fullsac head pipe and 1.75 baffles.  Sound is a matter of personal taste but personally, I wouldn't want the bike any louder.

smenard415

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 04:23:37 PM »

Greetings,

For 2009 only you can replace the cvo pipe with one from a regular 2009 dresser.  No cat and same O2 sensor hole.  The got smart and changed it the next year.   Has to be some 2009 head pipes layin' about from those that bought the expensive aftermarket pipes.  That pipe and some Fulsac baffles and you are ready to rock.

SteveM

searay540

• VA

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 05:26:44 AM »

Thanks all...ended up going with the V&H 2-1-2, with the V&H Hi Output mufflers; very satisfied (for now ;) )

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 25 queries.