Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERT Question  (Read 1022 times)

bear tracks

• Follow The Sun

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide
SERT Question
« on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

:orange:  Will the SERT, once installed on SEEG, hold its settings or are periodic tweaks necessary to keep the bike in tune?

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Re: SERT Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:10:27 AM »

I've had mine on my '05 SEEG since 2007.  No tweeks!

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:19:32 PM »

Once the ECM has been flashed with a new calibration it stays there forever unless the ECM is failing. Does not matter what unit flashed it.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

bear tracks

• Follow The Sun

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:30:25 PM »

Thanks folks.  I appreciate the education. :orange:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:34:25 PM »

As previously noted, the map you installed to the ECM with your SERT won't change over time, until you or someone installs a different map.  However, the engine management system on the '06 and earlier bikes ran in open loop at all times and didn't have the closed loop feedback system of current models.  So the little changes that occur over time, like fuel pressure and injector flow changes due to wear of parts, aren't compensated automatically by the ECM on our bikes.  The reason I bring this up is I assume you are asking this question for a reason, and the reason might be that you've noticed a change in how the bike runs lately.  If that's the case, you may want to tweak the current map, or better yet you may want to have some good diagnostics run on the bike to see if you have a problem that needs to be corrected.  Things like compression and leakdown tests, fuel pressure and flow tests, verification of correct operation of temperature sensors and MAP sensor, etc..  It's always best to fix the real problems, not cover them up with constant map "tweaks".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »

Jerry you should start a training class for proper question to ask a customer when they bring a vehicle into a shop.  You might be a millionaire.  I wish I once had a service writer that did this for me with out me just calling them on the phone myself.  It just done make a shop seem professional.  That's why I went to work for the government.  But now nobody seems to care if you really fix anything or not. 

I think I am your number one fan on here.  If your in central Ohio ever send me a pm I will by you lunch or dinner. 

Todd. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »

Jerry you should start a training class for proper question to ask a customer when they bring a vehicle into a shop.  You might be a millionaire.  I wish I once had a service writer that did this for me with out me just calling them on the phone myself.  It just done make a shop seem professional.  That's why I went to work for the government.  But now nobody seems to care if you really fix anything or not. 

I think I am your number one fan on here.  If your in central Ohio ever send me a pm I will by you lunch or dinner. 

Todd. 

Thanks Todd, I appreciate the kind words.

I guess I learned early on how important proper communication is between the customer and the service writer, and then between the service writer and technician.  I spent the early years of my career as a zone service manager for one of the Big Three automakers (glorified title for factory service rep), and I was heavily involved in customer complaints and tech assist at dealerships.  I found that a large percentage of customer complaints about failures to fix problems were directly related to poor communication.  A good service writer needs the skills of a detective, to drag the symptoms out of the clueless customers.  He or she also needs the ability to steer the know-it-all folks (the ones who walk in telling them what they think is wrong and what part to change) into sharing the actual symptoms without ticking them off.  When done right it is a very important part of the overall effort to fix it right the first time.  Unfortunately in most shops this is where the effort starts to fall apart, before the tech ever sees the bike or car.  Too few dealers or service managers seem to understand the importance of this position and the skill set needed to do it right.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:16:31 PM »

As previously noted, the map you installed to the ECM with your SERT won't change over time, until you or someone installs a different map.  However, the engine management system on the '06 and earlier bikes ran in open loop at all times and didn't have the closed loop feedback system of current models.  So the little changes that occur over time, like fuel pressure and injector flow changes due to wear of parts, aren't compensated automatically by the ECM on our bikes.  The reason I bring this up is I assume you are asking this question for a reason, and the reason might be that you've noticed a change in how the bike runs lately.  If that's the case, you may want to tweak the current map, or better yet you may want to have some good diagnostics run on the bike to see if you have a problem that needs to be corrected.  Things like compression and leakdown tests, fuel pressure and flow tests, verification of correct operation of temperature sensors and MAP sensor, etc..  It's always best to fix the real problems, not cover them up with constant map "tweaks".

Jerry

Great reason to let a CL system run in Cl some of the time.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 11:25:28 PM »

To further explain what has been.  It is always something else I have seen change over the download into the ECM.  Intake leaks, exhaust leaks, dirty fuel fuel filter, dirty AC, bad fuel......... Seems that the ECM get's some blame.  When the same mechanics of the wonderful, vibrating machines we all love.  Comes into play.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 11:29:54 PM »

However, the engine management system on the '06 and earlier bikes ran in open loop at all times and didn't have the closed loop feedback system of current models.  So the little changes that occur over time, like fuel pressure and injector flow changes due to wear of parts, aren't compensated automatically by the ECM on our bikes. 

One caveat there, though it doesn't apply to SERT users, is that 05 and later ECMs could monitor all the time.  Harley's ramping up to use of o2 sensors had begun that early but, obviously, wasn't fully implemented.  If using the TTS, for example, you can open the ECM plug, add the lines for o2 sensors and the system is as capable as was the first year of bikes with o2 sensors installed OE.  Granted, that wasn't an at all modern system by the automotive standards of the day, but it was as good as Harley offered.  If anyone is later interested TTS has a little about it at Appendix 9 of their doc here:

http://www.mastertune.net/downloads/Delphi/Manuals/MasterTune_Tuning_Guide-v134.pdf

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.