Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Special bearing tool required for rear sprocket?  (Read 771 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Special bearing tool required for rear sprocket?
« on: August 05, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

I just purchased a new rear sprocket & bearing along with the other necessary parts for my rear wheel.  I had new wheel bearing installed with a new Metzler, just wondering if I can use something besides the tool listed in the manual for the sprocket bearing?  In other words can I just press it in with my small arbor press and use a socket for a spacer? 

Thanks

tedshredz

Re: Special bearing tool required for rear sprocket?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

Why not?
  I've used long bolts, nuts, old cheap sockets and steel plates to fashion a press for bearing installs. I haven't had any troubles doing an simple install like that in the past. A small arbor press with a big enough throat should do it even easier.
  Another thing that I've done is to put the bearing in the freezer, coated in grease, in a small baggie. This will shrink the bearing O/D down a bit. If you heat the the sprocket up in the oven to about 120 degrees to expand the bore for the bearing, it will just about drop in the hole but in most cases it will likely need a bit of help with your press. Just remember to wipe the excess grease off the outside race of the bearing, and dope the inside of the hub bore with a light coating of neverseize. Work quickly to take advantage of the temperature difference and to minimize any water condensation issues (which is why I coat the bearing in grease). When the temperatures stabilize, it'll be as good an interference fit as you could get without damaging any surfaces and the neverseize pre-prep will make the bearing easier to remove the next time you have to do the job.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 25 queries.