Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Motorcycle injuries worsen with weaker helmet law?  (Read 3771 times)

bear tracks

• Follow The Sun

• CVO1: 2004 Screamin Eagle Electra-Glide
Re: Motorcycle injuries worsen with weaker helmet law?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 12:02:48 PM »

Why is there no concern for requiring cage drivers/passengers to wear a helmet?  Motor vehicle crashes far outnumber those involving motorcycles and produce more fatalities and serious death and injuries.  And I suspect, just like motorcycles, the fatality and serious injury crashes involve head trauma.   And because of their greater number, they have a far greater impact on society (healthcare needs, work disruption, etc.).  After all, nearly everyone seems to drive.  But that's the problem, isn't it.  Society in general doesn't want to address what might negatively affect them.  And motorcycle crashes are like airplane crashes, they are more spectacular to write about.  I wear a helmet.  My head is ugly enough without a curb or a fence post having a go at it.  Anyway, I starting riding in Texas in the 1960's when helmets were mandatory and just got used to it.  But I still believe its everybody's choice. And until our society faces up to the real dangers on our public roadways, they need to leave us motorcyclists alone.  They're probably only jealous anyway cause they can't handle a Harley (with modified engine of course).  Just my .02 cents worth.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »

Why is there no concern for requiring cage drivers/passengers to wear a helmet?  Motor vehicle crashes far outnumber those involving motorcycles and produce more fatalities and serious death and injuries. 

Trying to make direct comparisons of a puddle to a sea without any qualifiers doesn't really help your cause.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 12:31:01 PM »

Why is there no concern for requiring cage drivers/passengers to wear a helmet?  Motor vehicle crashes far outnumber those involving motorcycles and produce more fatalities and serious death and injuries.  And I suspect, just like motorcycles, the fatality and serious injury crashes involve head trauma.   And because of their greater number, they have a far greater impact on society (healthcare needs, work disruption, etc.).  After all, nearly everyone seems to drive.  But that's the problem, isn't it.  Society in general doesn't want to address what might negatively affect them.  And motorcycle crashes are like airplane crashes, they are more spectacular to write about.  I wear a helmet.  My head is ugly enough without a curb or a fence post having a go at it.  Anyway, I starting riding in Texas in the 1960's when helmets were mandatory and just got used to it.  But I still believe its everybody's choice. And until our society faces up to the real dangers on our public roadways, they need to leave us motorcyclists alone.  They're probably only jealous anyway cause they can't handle a Harley (with modified engine of course).  Just my .02 cents worth.

Maybe when motorcycles come equipped with eight airbags, occupant restraints, crush zones, padded surfaces, etc, like modern cars do, the helmet will no longer be viewed as essential safety equipment.  Trust me, there are a lot more safety requirements for cars and trucks than there are for motorcycles.  And you don't get to choose on most of them either, since they are built in.  So be thankful it's only helmets on bikes, and not roll cages and airbags.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »

Maybe when motorcycles come equipped with eight airbags, occupant restraints, crush zones, padded surfaces, etc, like modern cars do, the helmet will no longer be viewed as essential safety equipment.  Trust me, there are a lot more safety requirements for cars and trucks than there are for motorcycles.  And you don't get to choose on most of them either, since they are built in.  So be thankful it's only helmets on bikes, and not roll cages and airbags.

Jerry

And......  we get all those (generally) well engineered bits of hardware with all their supporting electronics and other systems along with heating and air conditioning, modern suspensions, power seats and windows, bigger engines and a host of other parts all for less than the bikes cost.  :huepfenlol2:

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »

My idea is to have an ejection seat.  You wear a small pack chute.   Upon collision impact you are launched into the air and your chute deploys- landing you softly on the side of the road.
-Just pray the accident doesn't happen inside a tunnel.  :bananarock:
A simple solution to a complex problem.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »

My idea is to have an ejection seat.  You wear a small pack chute.   Upon collision impact you are launched into the air and your chute deploys- landing you softly on the side of the road.
-Just pray the accident doesn't happen inside a tunnel.  :bananarock:
A simple solution to a complex problem.

:2vrolijk_21:

That would definitely be my luck, the only time my ejection seat would deploy would be in a tunnel or under an overpass.

Jerry  :nervous:
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 08:05:02 PM »

And......  we get all those (generally) well engineered bits of hardware with all their supporting electronics and other systems along with heating and air conditioning, modern suspensions, power seats and windows, bigger engines and a host of other parts all for less than the bikes cost.  :huepfenlol2:
Lets see now, a crate V-8 with 600 HP for 5K or a V-2 with 100 HP for 6K :nixweiss: Tell me it ain't rigged  :nervous: 
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.