Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burning leg on oil cap  (Read 6125 times)

slmetcalftx

Burning leg on oil cap
« on: February 06, 2013, 09:10:28 PM »

This may not affect folks who are taller, but I found the other day when I was stuck in Houston traffic that my right thigh sits right on the oil cap. After about 10 minutes, I was sure I was going to have a blister on my thigh where it was getting so hot. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep this from happening? I've looked at some heat shields, but not sure that will take cover the area or not. The seat is just narrow enough that it's exposed. I don't recall it being that way on my deluxe so I'm thinking a different seat might do it, but I've got the 2012 Denim with the brown leather seat and really don't want to give that up or pay out the whazoo to get another one and have it covered.

I checked postings and don't see anything on here, so if there's already a thread I should look at please redirect me.

Thanks!
 :o
Sherry
"Tex"

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: Burning leg on oil cap
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »

I also have that problem from time to time.   My father in law  bought a leather cover off of Amazon to fix that problem on his heritage

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Burning leg on oil cap
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 08:02:16 AM »

That is the reason I got rid of my Softtail and bought a SG.  :-\. I got tired of burning my leg at red lights.  :'(
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

slmetcalftx

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41:27 PM »

Hi Judy!

I didn't think about it with the SG at all when I had it, but was focusing on other issues with that one. I don't recall ever burning my leg on the Deluxe from the oil cap, but it did have a larger seat on it. I'm going to see if I can find the leather cap or a cover for it. Fingers crossed! :o)

Sherry
Sherry
"Tex"

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 08:10:20 AM »

Hi Judy!

I didn't think about it with the SG at all when I had it, but was focusing on other issues with that one. I don't recall ever burning my leg on the Deluxe from the oil cap, but it did have a larger seat on it. I'm going to see if I can find the leather cap or a cover for it. Fingers crossed! :o)

Sherry

Good luck Sherry!  I'm sure there is something on the market that will help you out.  I learned to stop at red lights and never put my right leg down.., with practice it is very doable.   ;)

ozarke

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 03:43:46 PM »

Are you sure that it is the oil cap that is the problem?   My experience has been that because the seat is narrow and the cover is so close that the heat can fry your thigh, especially when stopped.   I put a deflector by kyruykn  on and was helpful but still gets pretty hot.  I have never noticed my leg on the oil cap,  but I also have never rode in a bikini.  ;)

slmetcalftx

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »

LOL! Well, that makes two of us that have never rode a bike in a bikini. And it is the oil cap. The seat is narrow and it's very exposed so my leg rests on it when I'm at a stop. Not too bad unless I'm sitting in traffic. We put Shaffer oil in the Ultra Classic and the SG when I had it, so it helped tremendously. Going to try it on the Convertible and see what it will do. I've tried to find the leather cap or a cover for it and not finding anything. I have learned to keep my right leg up and the bike is easy to balance so no problem there. Where there's a will, there's a way if it means I can get in a bike ride!!

;D
Sherry
"Tex"

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

Let us know where you got the leather cover.

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 09:29:20 PM »

Bump- would like to know where I can find a cover for the oil cap....

LovemyCVOgirl

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 09:57:40 PM »

Bump- would like to know where I can find a cover for the oil cap....

Look on the Internet at koolking.net and RJS Originals Heat Shield.

Tim & Diann

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 11:51:35 PM »

I have a Crotch Cooler from Capt Itch. Isabel was great to work with and made one that matched my leather seat and added bling to match my bike. It makes a big difference in the heat and looks great too. They have pics on their website.
Diann

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 05:49:48 AM »

A buddy of mine has the RJS and is very happy with it!
Personally it doesn't bother me much as tend to keep my right leg up when i come to a stop!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

slmetcalftx

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »

Hi Everyone. Found a quick, inexpensive fix to the hot oil cap. I went to Hobby lobby, spent $5.99 on a leather "pouch" kit in the craft section. It has a square piece in it so I cut out a 4" (diameter) circle, cut 4, 1" slits in it, wrapped it over the oil cap, and tied it down with the enclosed leather tie and it worked perfectly. It's also brown leather and matches my bike close enough that I'm not overly concerned with it. We went riding today (and it's already hitting in the 90's in Houston), and after riding for a couple of hours, I could actually touch it with my fingers because it completely kept the heat from penetrating. So, for $6.00 and some change, I have a fix.

Best thing about it: It's really easy to remove and put back on when I will need to do the oil change. Attached is a picture. Not pretty, but hey, it works!
Sherry
"Tex"

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:59:27 PM »

Hi Everyone. Found a quick, inexpensive fix to the hot oil cap. I went to Hobby lobby, spent $5.99 on a leather "pouch" kit in the craft section. It has a square piece in it so I cut out a 4" (diameter) circle, cut 4, 1" slits in it, wrapped it over the oil cap, and tied it down with the enclosed leather tie and it worked perfectly. It's also brown leather and matches my bike close enough that I'm not overly concerned with it. We went riding today (and it's already hitting in the 90's in Houston), and after riding for a couple of hours, I could actually touch it with my fingers because it completely kept the heat from penetrating. So, for $6.00 and some change, I have a fix.

Best thing about it: It's really easy to remove and put back on when I will need to do the oil change. Attached is a picture. Not pretty, but hey, it works!

:2vrolijk_21:
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.