Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New cvo '13 Ultra downshifting by itself on braking?  (Read 4385 times)

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
New cvo '13 Ultra downshifting by itself on braking?
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

Hello.
Picked up a 2013 CVO Ultra a couple of weeks ago and noticed it was noticeably quieter and easy to shift into 1st gear from Neutral when first starting the bike.
I know these have some clutch assist for downshifting the Hydraulic clutch this year, but was wondering if anyone else was having this issue.

When coming to a stop, or hitting particularly bumpy road while slowing down, the bike will downshift automatically!
It's kind of suprising, and has been happening more (the roads here in L.A. Suck terribly).
Tonight after work I decided to ride Mullholland Drive home (I am fortunate to be able to make this one of my routes home if i choose) and the bike downshifting when hitting bumpy road or slowing and bumpy a few times.  Even just rolling to a stop sign, just drops a gear.

I have about 680 miles on the bike so far, so haven't had my first service yet, but was just wondering if this was happenning with anyone else's Bikes?

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:24:01 PM by mightywarlock »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: New cvo '13 Ultra downshifting by itself on braking?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:25:09 PM »

I don't remember ever hearing (reading) about that... may be something you want to have checked. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »

I've got about 1500 miles on mine and I've not experienced that at all. I'd definitely get it checked out.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 01:29:49 PM »

Hello.
Picked up a 2013 CVO Ultra a couple of weeks ago and noticed it was noticeably quieter and easy to shift into 1st gear from Neutral when first starting the bike.
I know these have some clutch assist for downshifting the Hydraulic clutch this year, but was wondering if anyone else was having this issue.

When coming to a stop, or hitting particularly bumpy road while slowing down, the bike will downshift automatically!
It's kind of suprising, and has been happening more (the roads here in L.A. Suck terribly).
Tonight after work I decided to ride Mullholland Drive home (I am fortunate to be able to make this one of my routes home if i choose) and the bike downshifting when hitting bumpy road or slowing and bumpy a few times.  Even just rolling to a stop sign, just drops a gear.

I have about 680 miles on the bike so far, so haven't had my first service yet, but was just wondering if this was happenning with anyone else's Bikes?

The clutch is designed to slip when you bang a quick downshift or chop the throttle quickly (basically when the rear wheel is trying to drive the engine), but there is nothing in the clutch or transmission that could actually cause the gearbox to shift gears by itself.  Odds are you are just feeling the clutch slip and hearing the resulting change in engine rpm when it does slip.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Blue Bart

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

Check the clearance between your heel shifter and the floor board.
2011 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
2012 GMC Denali Dually - Black
2007 Sunnybrook KSURV 391 - 5th wheel toyhauler
USMC
NRA Endowment Member
HOG Life Member since 1987

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 09:44:38 PM »

I'll look at my 13 tomorrow to see if the newer transmissions have the third gear adjustment on them. I have seen this on older transmissions and it was as simple as a couple minute adjustment. On the bikes I have seen this on the transmission was fully engaged in gear and would allow it to jump gears.

Spitballing here... shifter link adjustment?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »

I think when it was doing it the other day, i was either in 3rd, or 2nd. (not sure if i was in 3rd every time it jumped on its own).

I will check the clearance from the board and check out the shifter as well.
Definitely has done it even when I did not have my hand on the clutch...so if it slipped, it slipped on its own.

I will bring it in to the dealer this week for the 1000 mile service, so will address it with them, but does the Hydraulic clutch still have adjustment or is it fixed?
I know there is no Lever adjustment, but does it still get adjusted some other way?

Thanks!

Retired rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • Copper #1109

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 08
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »

Just my newbe .02, I would have that checked out. I hope it is just what Jerry said but be carfull  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 02:12:17 PM »

I think when it was doing it the other day, i was either in 3rd, or 2nd. (not sure if i was in 3rd every time it jumped on its own).

I will check the clearance from the board and check out the shifter as well.
Definitely has done it even when I did not have my hand on the clutch...so if it slipped, it slipped on its own.

I will bring it in to the dealer this week for the 1000 mile service, so will address it with them, but does the Hydraulic clutch still have adjustment or is it fixed?
I know there is no Lever adjustment, but does it still get adjusted some other way?

Thanks!

The hydraulic clutch is self adjusting as the plates wear, just like the hydraulic brakes.  But the part I mentioned previously about the clutch has to do with the actual internal design of the 2013 clutch, which is different than previous Big Twin Harley clutches.  The fact that you didn't have your hand on the clutch doesn't matter, the slip I'm talking about is part of the physical design. 

Are you positive that the bike actually changed gears?  For instance, if you were definitely riding in fifth gear and this happened, when you shifted manually down to neutral did you count four downshifts to get to neutral, or only three?  If the transmission actually did physically change gears, then it probably wasn't completely engaged when this occurred.  As others have noted, check the heel shifter for proper clearance.  Otherwise, let the dealer check the shift pawl centering adjustment as illustrated by Puzzled.  Other internal trans problems could also cause it to jump out of gear or not fully engage.  The bike is under warranty, let the dealer handle it.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »

Brought the bike in for the 1000 mile service (Yes, I paid for it).

asked the Service guy to check into quite a few things (most of which, they could not replicate).

The braking issue they seem to think has to do with the ABS, and that I am just not used to it.

OK...but why would I feel this while going over bumpy roads?  I am not sure about their assesment, so will see if the issue replicates itself this weekend while out riding though some seriously crazy mountain roads, and try to notice if I am hitting the rear brake or if it is just doing it by itself (thereby being another issue).

We'll see.....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »

Brought the bike in for the 1000 mile service (Yes, I paid for it).

asked the Service guy to check into quite a few things (most of which, they could not replicate).

The braking issue they seem to think has to do with the ABS, and that I am just not used to it.

OK...but why would I feel this while going over bumpy roads?  I am not sure about their assesment, so will see if the issue replicates itself this weekend while out riding though some seriously crazy mountain roads, and try to notice if I am hitting the rear brake or if it is just doing it by itself (thereby being another issue).

We'll see.....

If you are on the brakes while hitting relatively severe bumps, the ABS can engage.  If the tire loses traction due to the sudden bump while you're applying the brakes, the tire and wheel will slow more rapidly and the ABS will sense this as impending brake lockup. 

Jerry

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »

If you are on the brakes while hitting relatively severe bumps, the ABS can engage.  If the tire loses traction due to the sudden bump while you're applying the brakes, the tire and wheel will slow more rapidly and the ABS will sense this as impending brake lockup. 

Jerry

This is absolutely correct. I had a quick stop on my last ride on some rough pavement and heard the ABS clicking and felt it on the rear brake pedal.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »

I'm confused. You originally said it was automatically downshifting. So I assumed dropping down 1 gear without you manually doing that yourself. Now you say it might be in the abs brakes applying? So are you actually dropping down a gear? Next time this happens pull in your clutch and down shift through all the gears to see what gear you are in and if it actually changed gears
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

mightywarlock

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 01:22:55 AM »

Actually, after having the 1000 mile service done, the bike runs better and I do not recall having the same issue I was having with it slipping, so either it indeed had something to do with the braking and ABS on rough roads, or they adjusted something at the dealer and it may have taken care of it.

Unsure, as I had a few issues, and the bike ran much better (even the clutch seemed smoother and worked better) AFTER the service.
So I guess they took care of it?

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »

The adjustment for the shifter pawl has been long gone and was never on a twin cam with stock trans.  If you can take the outer derby cover off and snap a picture of the clutch .. I cannot get my pic back off the cloud deal with apple. I just went through with this on a 13 CVO and I agree it does not feel " normal" I could feel the clutch allowing slip on a hard decell .. not my cup of tea .. just like ABS they can keep that as well. Way to aggressive riding style.
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 25 queries.