Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailer Tramp Glitter  (Read 1335 times)

S E Road King

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
Trailer Tramp Glitter
« on: July 10, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

Here's my set up:
 '02FLHRSEI Factory-TC95, 16953-99A SE Heads at 72cc, Head Quarters HQ-0039G cam (.575" lift). 9.68:1 corrected compression. Stock lifters and SE adj. pushrods. As a preemptive measure, I installed B148 inners into the right side cases with only 4K on the clock. Then in '05', I had removed the chains at 21K, installed the HQ cam abnd S&S gear kit. 69K on the clock now About 20 miles from home I picked up and intermittent noise on even light acceleration. I did strip the wind screen and Even though it is a right side noise, it reminds me of a loose compensator nut clicking under load, But I opened the primary and eliminated that. Exhaust covers the noise under moderate and heavy acceleration. So I am thinking bearing, possible lifter, I wont look above the heads till I see what's going on in the cam case. Changed the oil to find a rice grain sized, metallic trash on the magnet, the trash was bright and shiny and on top of the mud that is normally there between oil services', so I got to it quickly. I opened the oil filter and it had glitter like a trailer court tramp.   YIKES!  I am going to open the cam chest and look. I will replace the inner cam bearings (at $6 apiece and only 15 minutes to replace, why not) and make a decision on the rest as I see it.
 Ok got the fitting required to properly adapt my compression gauge. I entered all of my build sheet data into the "big boyz calculator"
I got 10.37:1 static comp
9.68:1 cam corrected comp
and at 250' above sea level I should read 201.9psi in my combustion chamber
     My readings are on a cold engine, @WOT 190psi on the front and 185psi on the rear. (with a couple squirts of 50 weight in the spark plug hole it should go up) The bike has sit dormant for a week.

Not too bad for 69K on the clock and a grenade in the cam chest.

Any opinions?
S E Road King
Cedar Creek Lake, Tx
Riding with respect, East Tx and North Tx PGR
The worst day riding beats the best day working

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

Re: Trailer Tramp Glitter
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »

Bearing ..
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

S E Road King

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

I am having trouble coming to grips with a statements that I read in these forums and it goes (w/ some variation) like this

"You can destroy a oil pump, or ruin a bearing in the cam chest and if you flush the cam chest and remove the oil pan to clean it, you can go back together with the repairs in the cam chest and not worry about the crank, jugs and heads."

Now did I just get lucky with my 185 and 190 ccp's having no more than 20 miles since I first heard the knock/ticking sounds. Or is there really truth to those comments?
S E Road King
Cedar Creek Lake, Tx

S E Road King

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »

Ouch
One of the biggest selling points of the TC platform, for me, was the improved oil system. I found the front cam outer bearing hailed out. I saw a small piece of cup shaped cage steel about 1/8 X1/8" square, in the bottom of the cam chest and not one other piece or contamination of any kind. I am very surprised. So, I got a lot of expensive parts to replace.
S E Road King
Cedar Creek Lake, Tx

S E Road King

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

I got trash everywhere.
It's case splittin' time boyz! At least I have the best TC cases and crank that Harley made. If not for that I do not think I would bother. And I have my wife convinced that the best way to tighten up all of those contaminated surfaces and loose fits is to expand the motor and add inches. She agrees!
But, I think once I have everything pulled apart I will push this bike off of the lift and get busy on my XS650 restoration.
S E Road King
Cedar Creek Lake, Tx

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.