Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire install with hand tools?  (Read 1209 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Tire install with hand tools?
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »

I see where we have a few members using the No-Mar Jr. tire changer and wheel balancer.  I plan to look for a used one's locally but if I don't find one I was wondering if anybody has tried to install & remove front & rear radials with the kits they sell.  I talked to a small Indy shop yesterday and he told me he had done them by hand for close to 20 years without any problems.  He then brings them to a shop nearby that just purchased some new balancing tool.  Since I'm still having trouble with cupping tires (now a Metzler) I'm convinced it may it is swingarm related but that will be for another post.  I plan on balancing the wheel and then the tire.  I will go back to wheel weights until I solve my problem.  I'll start with getting the tire as perfectly balanced as possible and study the various swingarm kits available.  This cupping is just ruining my riding comfort.  I never had a rear wheel cup until the dealer did me a favor and replaced the swingarm bushings when I had 41K on her, they also disconnected the True Track telling me that I didn't need it.  Of course I hooked it up as soon as I got home.  I now have over 65K miles, I have the AK-20 for the front and I'm on my second set of 13" Bitubo's in the rear.  I check & adjust my air pressure and shock setting for solo and 2 up riding when required.  I got to tell you this is getting beyond frustrating.   

Thanks

Ray G.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Tire install with hand tools?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »

I've never done it but there are many instructional videos available on You Tube.  Here's one: 

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:08:03 PM »

There is no point trying to balance the wheel without the tire mounted ...if that is what I read ..you could have the balance on the rim perfect then mount the tire and the imbalance in the tire may fix the imperfect rim.. if that makes sense . you could try mount and balance the tire, if you feel it requires too much weight to balance break the beads turn the tire 1/4 turn on the rim and inflate and balance again ...keep doing this until you find the best position you would have to have a lot of patience to do this tho
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »

I would like to check the balance of the wheel without the tire.  It can't hurt and it was recommended by a fellow CVO rider as a starting point. 

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:12:15 AM »

Back in my early years I mounted a lot of tires for 150 mph plus super-bikes.
I always spun the rim to find the heavy spot and would mark that spot. (Don't put weights on to balance just the rim.)
You maybe surprised how many times it won't even be close to the valve stem. Almost all tires will come with a colored dot to mark the lightest spot on the tire. (I found these spots to be most accurate.)
Now mount your tire with the lightest spot mark lined up with your heavy spot on the rim. (this is not rocket science.)
You may be surprised how little if any weight it will take.
When I did my CVO rear tire the heavy spot was @ 2:00 with the valve stem @ 6:00
It took less than half the weight it came with from the factory with. My 2 cents worth.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:39:07 AM »

That is exactly what I was trying to get at, I'm trying to avoid seeing 6 wts @ 2:00 and 7 more @ 5:00, arranged like a clock for reference.  They could have spun the tire instead of having weights at two locations, plus the tire cupped or scalloped @ 3K miles anyway.  So now all I need is any body doing their CVO tires by hand and if so what are the pitfalls with the exception of hard labor.  Someone must have tried to do this by hand?

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 12:31:08 PM »

Ray, I think a no-mar tire machine is the way to go. I would also suggest the static balancer too. No-mar tools are simple but efficient. After doing yer own tires you will agree on the outcome. Checking the wheel alone on the static balancer will show the heavy spot, and trueness too. as stated earlier the heavy spot is not always at the stem. I've been doing my own tires for sometime now, I use dynabeads but always check the balance of the wheel and then the wheel and tire and have never came up over 3/4 oz of weight needed. I then pull the weights off, break the bead again and apply the dynabeads. Works for me.  :orange:

I'm not sure I'd do the tire change without some sort of tire machine on todays wheels and tires. Especially the CVO wheels.

Good luck on whatever avenue you choose on getting yer problems sorted out. If you were closer I'd do it for ya.  :huepfenjump3:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »

Ray, I think a no-mar tire machine is the way to go. I would also suggest the static balancer too. No-mar tools are simple but efficient. After doing yer own tires you will agree on the outcome. Checking the wheel alone on the static balancer will show the heavy spot, and trueness too. as stated earlier the heavy spot is not always at the stem. I've been doing my own tires for sometime now, I use dynabeads but always check the balance of the wheel and then the wheel and tire and have never came up over 3/4 oz of weight needed. I then pull the weights off, break the bead again and apply the dynabeads. Works for me.  :orange:

I'm not sure I'd do the tire change without some sort of tire machine on todays wheels and tires. Especially the CVO wheels.

Good luck on whatever avenue you choose on getting yer problems sorted out. If you were closer I'd do it for ya.  
:huepfenjump3:

TN

X2!!!  I'm a little closer than TN and I'd do it for you too!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 07:42:42 PM by pete_4854 »
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:01:01 PM »

I'm going to put an add in my local Craig's list for both units. I've seen them on the site before, maybe I'll get lucky.  Thanks for the offer, much appreciated

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.