Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch or shifting problem  (Read 1582 times)

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
Clutch or shifting problem
« on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »

Have an 06 seuc.  for some reason for a while now its really hard to ever find neutral and seems to clunk in and out of all the other gears.  Sometimes can only get neutral if i shut the bike off then goes right in.  I have changed the oil.  Adjusted the chain both ways.  Bled the master cylinder and all that a few times.  None seems to make any difference.  Not sure what else it could be.  Only thought is maybe its just the clutch getting wore out.  It never walks or pulls or anything and seems to work normal.  I have had it all off about 5k miles ago and never saw any problems with anything.  didn't completly disassemble the clutch just had it off.  Any other ideas on what might be going on thats its hard shifting?

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Clutch or shifting problem
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:21:01 PM »

Sound like you need a new clutch to me. Has it ever been replaced?
Jesus is Lord

panhead1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »

I have had the bike for about 30k miles. I haven't replaced it.  Figured it would either slip and be walking with the clutch pulled in if going out.  I thought about changing it out. Just didn't know it it would be a lost cause.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »

It's not so much the miles that matter but how many times the clutch has been engaged and how efficiently it was operated.  I've seen some people "ride" the clutch causing premature wear of the clutch plates.  For instance, 10,000 miles in the city with stop signs and lights is a heck of a lot more use on the clutch than 10,000 highway miles.  I still think that is the culprit causing your problem.  I'm sure that there are others here with more experience than me that can chime in and give an opinion.
Jesus is Lord

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:26:31 PM »

This is what I have done.  I realized that at a light I would be holding the front or rear brake.  I just released the brakes making sure I did not roll and then put it in "N". Just the ability of the bike "floating" I can get it into "N".  What you discribed was exactly happening to me.

David

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »

Now having the clutch pulled in fully at the light does not cause wear, it is when you are pulling away or riding in slow traffic and have it in the "friction zone" (partially engaged) that causes the wear referred to above.

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:35:52 AM »

Have you considered changing the Transmission Fluid?

I changed over to RedLine V-Twin Transmission Fluid with Shock Proof.
I have 46K on my FLHRSEI2 and I am a Toe Shifter.
Before changing over to redline I had the occassional hard to find neutral and the typical HJD Clunk when shifting.
Now No issues with finding neutral and with a little concentration cah go through the gears with little or no HD Clunk.

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' EagleĀ® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »

Ok, might be something to check as it just happened to me on a trip. Check the "lever" on the front of the linkage that connects to the shaft that goes through the case. The outside of that shaft connects to your shifter pegs. Mine came apart on me and the toe and heel shifter started to slide out against my foot. After I put it back together and got it nice and tight, the shifting seemed easier.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 25 queries.