Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cruise control won't set  (Read 1052 times)

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
cruise control won't set
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »

The cruise on my 07 SERK wont set. The light comes on when I turn it on but when I hit SET it doesn't. Anyone here have a solution ? Thanks for any help. Ride Safe. :nixweiss:

roly4

• Full CVO Member
  • What?

• CVO1: 2008 SERK - Duracell #0217 *SOLD
    • CVO2: 2012 SERG - Skunk
Re: cruise control won't set
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:53:19 AM »

Not really a solution but mine went out on my 2008 SERK around 12k miles. Dealer had to replace the micro-switch.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »

The cruise on my 07 SERK wont set. The light comes on when I turn it on but when I hit SET it doesn't. Anyone here have a solution ? Thanks for any help. Ride Safe. :nixweiss:

Check the obvious stuff first, like fuses.  Also check your brake light.  If either the front or rear brake switch is sticking on, the cruise won't set.  Then check the actual switch in the right hand switch housing.  They aren't sealed and can get gunked up or corroded over time. 

If all those things check out OK, you may want to get the Electrical Diagnostics Manual and follow the troubleshooting flowchart, or just take it to a qualified tech who has the Harley test rig.  The '07 and earlier bikes use a separate cruise control module that contains electrical, electronic, and mechanical components that can also cause your problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:43:34 PM »

This does not apply if you have TBW...   

But if you have throttle cables,  the roll off swith may be bad ... the test is to unplug the two wires going into the cable roll off switch,  test,  if it works,  thats your problem .. 
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »

This does not apply if you have TBW...   

But if you have throttle cables,  the roll off swith may be bad ... the test is to unplug the two wires going into the cable roll off switch,  test,  if it works,  thats your problem .. 

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:      I forgot that one, and it has been fairly common over the years.

j f go, follow the throttle cables back to where they run alongside the steering head area of the frame, right before they disappear under the fuel tank.  There will be two simple spade connectors with small gauge wires connected to one of the throttle cables, just disconnect them and see if the cruise will work. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »

Before you go too crazy, it only works after 30 or 40 mph, check your manual for the accurate mph.

David

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »

Thanks to all for the info, will get a chance to check out your solutions tommorrow nite after work(if its not raining)and will post again once I figure it out Thanks again guys

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.