Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noisy 3rd gear in 5-speed tranny  (Read 1944 times)

dagbre

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 SEFB
Noisy 3rd gear in 5-speed tranny
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »

My 06 SEFB (5 speed tranny) runs rather smoothly, but the third gear is noisy when the bike is hot. Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?
Måteleg klok kvar mann vere ovklok vere han ikkje for sjeldan er hugnad i hjarta å finna hjå honom som ovklok er!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Noisy 3rd gear in 5-speed tranny
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:52:39 PM »

My 06 SEFB (5 speed tranny) runs rather smoothly, but the third gear is noisy when the bike is hot. Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon?

Not that I have experience in your issue, but I do have some thoughts about it.

Being that it's an '06 and this is '09, I would guess this is a new noise.  Is that correct?

Let's say it's a new noise.

Different gears when engaged use different bearings or shafts.  I'm not sure what the case is in your trans, but if it's a new noise, you have something planning on going south.

Based on some of the pictures other have posted lately about their transmissions, it might be a good thing to either tear is down yourself or have an experienced person do it for you, soon.  I've seen cases in cars with noises go on for years without attention, but on a bike if the trans locks up at the wrong time, you're a goner.  Not that there ever is a good time for a locked up trans.  Kind of like passing in your sleep, a trans lock up would be great if you started it up, put it in gear and you just couldn't move the bike....

Someone with more time with your problem might be able to give you help in what particular part is creating the noise, worn shaft, worn gear, under load or coasting, all create just slightly different noises.  If this were a 9" Ford or Chevy rearend, I could be a help, but alas, no true seat time in your application.

But safe advise would still be that if this is a new noise, have it checked soon or you could be calling someone to come and pick up the bike.  Or worse, come see you in the hospital after the rear wheel locked up while riding.

I learned a long time ago in my streetrod days, don't ever scrimp on drive train items, brakes, u-joint/driveshaft, axles, spindles, wheel setups etc.  Cheap out on paint, interior, or just add ons, but always respect the drive line as your life line.  With four wheels you have the security that you won't fall over and on two wheels you have to be sure of your equipment, if at all possible.

From all the reading I've done on this forum and many others along with the people I ride with and know, transmissions are very dependable and have shown in general to be very strong and trouble free.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

dagbre

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 SEFB
Re: Noisy 3rd gear in 5-speed tranny
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 02:13:04 AM »

Thanks, pal. :)

Its a gear noise, it has always been there to some extent, but I imagine its getting louder.

I found this post about it, but a single reference is not enough to give me peace of mind. See the post from Aceharleywrench:

http://www.aimag.com/forums/harley-transmission-harley-clutch-harley-primary/5522-06-flhtcui-third-gear-noise.html
Måteleg klok kvar mann vere ovklok vere han ikkje for sjeldan er hugnad i hjarta å finna hjå honom som ovklok er!

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.