Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any recommendations?  (Read 1567 times)

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
Any recommendations?
« on: July 18, 2013, 08:50:48 PM »

on what size spacers? what material? if anybody makes them? to take a little sag out of / firm up, the springs of the HD Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit in the '09 SERG a little???
I spoke w/ Progressive today and was told that their regular (not heavy duty) springs would do the trick, but figured that I could save some $$ by installing spacers instead, to make the front end (stock height) a little stiffer. 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:58:45 PM »

on what size spacers? what material? if anybody makes them? to take a little sag out of / firm up, the springs of the HD Premium Ride Double Cartridge Fork Kit in the '09 SERG a little???
I spoke w/ Progressive today and was told that their regular (not heavy duty) springs would do the trick, but figured that I could save some $$ by installing spacers instead, to make the front end (stock height) a little stiffer. 

Spacers don't change the spring rate (stiffness), they only adjust the ride height.  If the suspension is bottoming, you may need to look at higher rate springs and/or heavier weight oil.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 09:33:17 PM »

Spacers don't change the spring rate (stiffness), they only adjust the ride height.  If the suspension is bottoming, you may need to look at higher rate springs and/or heavier weight oil.

Jerry

The forks are not bottoming, I would just like them to have a little more pre load, have a little stiffer feel and a little less brake dive. The HD Premium Cartridge Forks were a definite improvement over stock. The Tech put in SE 10wt oil w/the kit.

I was just thinking of putting spacers on top of the springs, to effectively increase the spring rate a little.

Thanks

"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

inferno1976

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Road Glide 110th Anniversary #8
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »

Check out Ricor Intiminators.

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »

Check out Ricor Intiminators.
Won't work with the cartridges, nor will changing oil weight. 
The best you've had is the best you know.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »

The Harley and Progressive kits appear identical.  When the Harley it first came out, the Progressive kit was out of stock for quite some time. That let it most of us to believe that it was Progressive who was making the kit for Harley. The fork oil added to both of these kits is merely for lubrication and does not affect stiffness.  They also cost about the same.  I don't believe that either publishes the spring rates.

If there was a way to find out from Progressive just how much stiffer they're heavy duty springs are, that might be your answer.  I installed the standard kit and am very happy with it.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 04:01:57 AM »

The Harley and Progressive kits appear identical.  When the Harley it first came out, the Progressive kit was out of stock for quite some time. That let it most of us to believe that it was Progressive who was making the kit for Harley. The fork oil added to both of these kits is merely for lubrication and does not affect stiffness.  They also cost about the same.  I don't believe that either publishes the spring rates.

If there was a way to find out from Progressive just how much stiffer they're heavy duty springs are, that might be your answer.  I installed the standard kit and am very happy with it.

I called Progressive last week to ask that very question, told them that I had the '09 SERG with the HD Premium Cartridge Forks / Shocks, about myself, and my riding habits, what I was looking for, and asked about their heavy duty springs. The Progressive tech support guy was clear in that their heavy duty springs are meant more for trikes/sidecars and that most everybody that put them on street baggers hated them and that they were way too stiff even for a sometimes aggressive rider as myself. He told me to get their regular springs and I would be happy.

I think that most all the Harley suspension is Showa (with the exception of the Fox shocks on some FXDWG models) Even the 'Premium' stuff

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 25 queries.