Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for shorter windshield  (Read 2086 times)

Kidd_Funkadelic

Looking for shorter windshield
« on: August 07, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »

I'm a bit on the short side and have been trying to find a shorter windshield.  I don't mind a touch more air in my face, I want to see over it more.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? The catch is that I have the HD brand 3 pouch windshield bags so I need the shield to be taller than that.  I can't seem to figure out how tall the stock shield is - I measured it and was a little over 6.5 inches or so. I thought it was a whole number... Just measuring it looks like I would need at least a 5" if not a 6.

Looking for as close to stock in shape as possible, but looking for a lighter tint so it's easier to see through what does stick above the bags...

EDIT: Just measured again - stock is 6.25" shield height. Bag height is 4.5".  So I guess I'm looking for a 5" shield that anyone has found that looks good w/ bags if such a thing exists :)

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:17:34 PM by Kidd_Funkadelic »

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
Re: Looking for shorter windshield
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 08:04:56 PM »

You'd have to look up stats on it, but I do have a shield from a stock 08 streetglide if you want. I think its pretty dark. I'll try and find it to post a pic later if you're interested.

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »

Thanks, but I believe the std SG shield is around 4".  The bags are a bit over 5" so I think that's a little too short.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 08:15:25 PM »

Yeah, 4 sounds about right. Looks good, but not much "shielding". Never had dash bags so IDK whether it'd cover or not. Good luck on your quest  ;)

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »

Did you try Freedom Shields?   :nixweiss:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »

Actually I started checking them out before you posted and they have a 5" and I like the look of them.  Sent them an email asking if they knew if the bags would be covered. Was hoping for a little cheaper but if it fits the bill I'd rather get it right the first time for a few more bucks...

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:50:28 PM »

I remember reading on the forum where a member re-drilled the windshield holes up higher so he was able to lower it....may work for you ...just a thought ...

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 06:27:36 AM »

The bag behind the windshield if it's HD or T- Bag will work with a 4 inch or higher windshield.
DND

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »

Klock Werks makes a great bag that has some benefits besides shielding. Give 'em a call. Great people to work with, Friendly and helpful. 605-996-3700 OR Check this web site out. May be what you're looking for.
http://www.kustombaggers.com/
 :bananarock:

davidw221

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »

I agree with baggerproud!!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 09:15:24 AM »

You can experiment with Klockwerks and others and eventually find what works best for you or you can call ClearView and talk to them, answer their questions as to your height, inseam etc etc so they can fit you to the windshield you are looking for exactly. I have a Clearview for touring and a Klockwerks for kicking around locally and while the Klockwerks is great for most situations, it isn't long distance shield. The clearview is perfect. I can see over the top of it yet it throws the air (and rain) up over my helmet and doesn't ever distort my view.  I'm not a fan of putting anything on a windshield other than a nice clean microfibre cloth when I wiping it down and polishing it so I recuse myself from discussing windshield bags

B B

Kidd_Funkadelic

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:18:06 AM »

I decided to go with the 5" Freedom Shield. I like the look of them, customer services seems top notch from the comments and John is very responsive.  I like the shape and I think it's exactly the height I'm looking for. Will know better when it shows up :) More money than I had hoped to spend, but I'll pay more for something that I really like. 

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.