Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gas Pouring From Overflow Tube  (Read 5185 times)

DaveNus

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

Gas Pouring From Overflow Tube
« on: June 18, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »

Hello All,

I just bought a 2014 CVO Breakout last Tuesday. I filled the tank after the first day of riding, brought it home and when I parked it gas began pouring from the overflow tube under the bike. I'm not talking a few drips, I mean just dumping out of it. I'd estimate well over a pint, perhaps more. This dumping of fuel came in waves... it dumps, stops for a few minutes, then dumps again. Once the fuel level drops a bit, the problem stops. I took it back to the dealer and the service rep felt it was a bad cap and replaced it with a new one right then and there. The way he described the problem seemed to make sense, so I went on my way. The next time I filled it the problem actually got worse. I parked it in my shed and luckily I turned back one-more-time to check on it and there honestly had to be a quart of fuel under the bike and more was coming out! Scared me half to death. I took the fuel cap off and it stopped fairly quickly. It is now parked in the shed (after a solid clean up) with the gas cap off. It's not leaking. It goes back to the dealer tomorrow and stays until it's fixed 100%.

So my questions are: Has anyone else had a similar problem, and does anyone have an idea as to what would cause such a thing? I'd like to have some ideas as to what it could be before I talk to the service manager. And just for the record, I'm not overfilling the tank. Even the dealer agreed the tank was no where near being overfilled when they first looked at it and changed the cap.

Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Gas Pouring From Overflow Tube
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »

If you aren't overfilling the tank and the gas cap is OK (they can test it), then the other option is that the tank venting system is screwed up.  Rather than vent excess air pressure (when you park a bike with a full tank of gas sitting over top of a hot engine, expansion will occur and it will increase pressure in the tank), it appears that yours is venting actual liquid.  I'd suspect something incorrectly assembled in the tank, possibly the actual vent lines.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:48 PM »

I agree with Jerry.  The vent line may have fallen down lower than its suppose to be in the tank. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:12 AM »

I have 8K miles on my 2013. I had 2 instances where the fuel spewed out of the cap from the tank, not the over flow lines. Both times, was roughly 25 miles after filling up and both times I was riding in the rain. I just burped about 8 oz out of the fill cap on the tank over about 10 seconds. Never took the time to figure it out but might be worht mentioning here incase there is a trend.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:44 AM »

I have 8K miles on my 2013. I had 2 instances where the fuel spewed out of the cap from the tank, not the over flow lines. Both times, was roughly 25 miles after filling up and both times I was riding in the rain. I just burped about 8 oz out of the fill cap on the tank over about 10 seconds. Never took the time to figure it out but might be worht mentioning here incase there is a trend.

Same answer Jerry gave earlier...  Check the vent hose for an obstruction.  Perhaps the hose is routed incorrectly and is pinched closed?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »

The problem was never persistent so I never troubleshot it. It hasn't happened in 5K miles. I suspect the rain caused some blockage of the vent lines causing the burping up through the tank and I just threw in my experience in case it helps anyone. I have ridden in a downpour since but not with the tank having 4+ gallons so there may still be a problem but everything looks routed right.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:00:46 PM »

More likely scenario is that the gas cap wasn't fully seated.  That's been a problem on some bikes for several years, traced to either defective caps or poorly formed threads in the filler neck that cause the cap to be tight in the threads but not actually seated against the gasket.  Add a wet cap when you reinstalled it after filling up and perhaps you didn't get it fully seated.

The vent lines run down below the tank back to around the swingarm area, and are unlikely to be affected by rain.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:19 PM »

Nice to  know and something to check next time. Wasn't a huge deal, but also sucks to smell like gas. Thanks for the explanation.

HDBill

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 11:15:23 AM »

As posted by Jerry. I have a 10 Wide Glide that had a factory recall for the filler neck not sealing correctly.  It also seeped gas from cap after fill up. Dealer had a reamer that basically took some paint out of the threads in the neck and it has not been leaking since.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 25 queries.