Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: tuner  (Read 1961 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
tuner
« on: September 20, 2013, 09:58:46 AM »

I have a 13 CVO Ultra and I am really enjoying this bike and this forum. I have read a lot about tuners, exhaust, cams, cranks and lifters on the forum and quite frankly I am confused!

I want to get a little more out of my 110 but I do not want to go crazy spending even more money than I spent buying the bike.

I am thinking slip on mufflers and a tune. My question is if you install a tuner is it one and done? or is the rider constantly messing with it? I know little about tuners.

Question 2 is, does anyone know of a great engine tuner in northern Illinois?

Thanks for the help.

ldireprophil

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom Maple Metallic
Re: tuner
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »

You should get a lot of responses on this one. If you want to get more power without breaking the bank, I would go with a new set of cams, a full exhaust system, and get it tuned with the TTS by someone experienced with it.
2012 CVO RGC / Renegade Lincoln Phantom 21-17 / RWD Fender / -2 Front -1 Rear / Bad Dad Side Covers / Andrews 54H Cams / HQ Black Ops Lifters / Heavy Breather / Cometic .030 HG / Barnett +1 Clutch / Aim 480lb Spring / ClutchWiz / Hayden M6 / D&D Fat Cat 2-1 w/UPB & Ghost Pipe / TTS MasterTune 2 / Wizard's Tune / Alpine CDE-HD149BT Head Unit / Alpine PDX-M6 Amp / Hertz HCX 690 / Hertz HSK 165 XL / Biketronics Module / Cycles Sounds Lids / Misc Little Things

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:20:36 AM »

If you want to easily spend over $2k, then you can do cam's, new exhaust, tuner, dyno etc. If you are generally happy, just get some slipons and no tuner is necessary.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »

Not really interested in spending $2K and have my brother in law on his Wing still blow me off the road!! Plus I do not think the wife will be happy with me if I spent $2k more on a close to $40K bike!! Especially when she wants a new stove and fridge!!

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »

First of all, it is "one and done"...unless you change your setup after.
I de-catted the header (before Fullsac's X-pipe was available) added Fullsac 2.0" cores (look stock to the cops) and had a Pro-SERT installed. Dealer did the dyno tune. 90hp/104 ft lbs couldn't be happier. My '10 FLHXSE came with a hi-flow air cleaner. If yours didn't, add that to the list.

Not cheap, but not too pricey. It also runs a lot cooler with no cat and the fuel mixture enriched. Great throttle response, no surging, no flat spots.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 12:18:07 PM »

By far and away, the least expensive "fix" to get about a 10% increase in power, decrease the amount of heat the exhaust system produces, and just generally get a better running/performing bike is the Fullsac Stage I exhaust system with the TTS and Steve's canned map he will provide for the bike.  The parts will cost you approximately $1100.  If you have any mechanical skills, you can install it yourself and ride.  If you don't, a competent person will be able to do it in 3 hours or less.

You can stick some slip on mufflers on the bike and it will compensate, but if you want the bike to run to it's maximum potential WITHOUT doing ANY engine work, like cams, you must get ride of the catalytic converter in the stock header pipe.  This can be accomplished by cutting/welding the stock header pipe (or Steve George will do an exchange with you) or by purchasing the new (and better designed) header pipe.  But, if you remove the cat, you MUST modify the stock ECM map.

If you make no further changes to the bike, you'll never need to re-tune it after the initial changes.

I would suggest that you contact Steve George at Fullsac.  http://www.fullsac.com/   Tell them you are a member here and get a discount.  This is a PROVEN system that hundreds of people here have used and you can choose the loudness of the exhaust by which cores you choose.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

chicoman

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »

Valley racing in beecher il, Jim at paradise performance in southern il, bv bob razorback performance a couple hour ride into wisconsin, all will do you great.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »

I have a 13 CVO Ultra and I am really enjoying this bike and this forum. I have read a lot about tuners, exhaust, cams, cranks and lifters on the forum and quite frankly I am confused!

I want to get a little more out of my 110 but I do not want to go crazy spending even more money than I spent buying the bike.

I am thinking slip on mufflers and a tune. My question is if you install a tuner is it one and done? or is the rider constantly messing with it? I know little about tuners.

Thanks for the help.

You might want to call hrdtail78 who is a site supporter here and is in Central Illinois
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »

Thanks for the help.

Call Frank Drago at Drago Bike Works in Rockford, IL.   Great customer service, great products and a great price.  815-765-1790

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 08:23:58 PM »

Call Frank Drago at Drago Bike Works in Rockford, IL.   Great customer service, great products and a great price.  815-765-1790

Cowboy

I agree.  He is more in your neck of the woods.  Be careful though.  You will have a 124 procharged street ripper before you know it.

I would at least suggest a decent stage 1 and a tune.  The 255 isn't a bed cam but there is better ones out there.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.