Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low oil pressure  (Read 1234 times)

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
Low oil pressure
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »

I recently took a trip out to California to ride the PCH. On the way back home, with about 1000 miles to go, I noticed my oil pressure reading about 15 or 16 psi going down the HWY @ 75 or 80 mph. Always before, it would read 32 or just slightly below that at HWY speeds. Bike is a 2012 FLHTCUSE7 with 18,600 miles. SE race tuner and D&D Fat Cat exhaust are the only mods. Lifters replaced at around 15,000 miles with Bob Woods as a precautionary step only. Originals actually looked fine. Anyone seen this before or have an idea of what's going on? 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Low oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »

I recently took a trip out to California to ride the PCH. On the way back home, with about 1000 miles to go, I noticed my oil pressure reading about 15 or 16 psi going down the HWY @ 75 or 80 mph. Always before, it would read 32 or just slightly below that at HWY speeds. Bike is a 2012 FLHTCUSE7 with 18,600 miles. SE race tuner and D&D Fat Cat exhaust are the only mods. Lifters replaced at around 15,000 miles with Bob Woods as a precautionary step only. Originals actually looked fine. Anyone seen this before or have an idea of what's going on? 

Did you make sure the oil level was correct and not abnormally low?  If the oil level is OK, then I'd suggest checking the pressure with a calibrated mechanical gauge screwed into the engine case in place of the sending unit.  There were reports of defective sending units a year or two back that created false low pressure readings.  If the pressure still shows low, then it would be time for the dealership to start digging into the cam chest to check the oil pump.  I assume you are still in warranty, so you need to see your dealer ASAP.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cropsure

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 05:18:51 PM »

Did you make sure the oil level was correct and not abnormally low?  If the oil level is OK, then I'd suggest checking the pressure with a calibrated mechanical gauge screwed into the engine case in place of the sending unit.  There were reports of defective sending units a year or two back that created false low pressure readings.  If the pressure still shows low, then it would be time for the dealership to start digging into the cam chest to check the oil pump.  I assume you are still in warranty, so you need to see your dealer ASAP.

Jerry

Yes, oil level is fine. Only thing I did different was switch to mobile 1 syn before the trip. I was tired of having to order Redline. I don't think that has anything to do with it as I think mobile 1 is excellent oil, just the only thing I had changed up. When bike is started up first thing in the morning, oil pressure is 32 like it has always been. Ride about 50 miles and get it good an warmed up, the oil pressure starts dropping and settles at around 15. Thanks for your reply Jerry. Will get to the shop.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »

I'd first verify the oil pressure is reading correctly with a secondary oil pressure gage.

If your gage is reading correctly, and your oil pressure is actually that low, then I'd inspect the oil pump for wear.  It's possible you have a crankshaft with excessive runout and your oil pump has suffered as a result.  If you're still under warranty, then I'd suggest to your dealer that they inspect your pump and crank runout...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

My Bike just did the same thing . tho oil pump was going out, bad sending unit replace it and oil pressure running 32 psi easy fix .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:07:51 PM by bloper123 »
bobby

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »

how hot was it?  your oil pressure is going to read lower if it is real hot.  the good news is that hd is not a high pressure system, it is a high flow system.  when i first got my 2010 rgc, it was the first bike i had that had a oil pressure gauge on it.  i got it mid spring so oil pressure always looked good.  come the first summer and it's blistering 105* temps and i'm tooling down the road at about 70mph when i glance at the gauge and about have a heart attack.  it looked like it was reading less than 10 psi.  so i take it to the dealer and they check it out and everything checks out okay.  there was plenty of oil flow, and the way the numbers are on the gauge it is reading higher than it looks.  at first i thought the dealer was blowing smoke up my ass, but i rode that bike for 3 summers and 40,000 miles, with the oil doing the same thing every summer and i never blew an engine.....

if the pressure looks good when the engine cools down, then it's probably fine.  its worthy to note that i noticed it more when i was using mobil1 15/50.  if your bike is still under warranty, then take it in and have it documented, but it's probably fine.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 06:22:55 PM by ekim60 »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.