Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WANTED!!! New engine for '11 SEUC  (Read 3524 times)

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE-6
WANTED!!! New engine for '11 SEUC
« on: November 05, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm looking for the new engine form my '11 SEUC.  I usually ride 2 up + gear (200kg cca. 440 lbs).  20.000km per year. Cruising speed, long distance ride, Scenic route, up hill-down hill, mountains passes, etc. I need a good reliable bolt in engine with more power/ torque in the lower end, due to weight and hill climbing. I see no sense to by another HD 110" and than spend more money to make it right (bottom end, cam chest, CR 10.5:1, Porting, TB, etc.).
Is there anything better than a HD stock 110"?

Vlado

"F..@* the Rushmore's, I'm gonna keep my Babe"

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: WANTED!!! New engine for '11 SEUC
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »

S&S 124" is a very popular option
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »

S&S 124" is a very popular option

Yes, Star Racing is selling them.  Are they more Racing than Touring Engines? I'll write them an e-mail.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »

Vlado

Star is one of maybe 1000 + S&S  dealers that can get that engine.

We sent a 124 to Venice mid year  thats across the gulf from you if I am not mistaken. And another to Austria as well.  Its not a big deal just about any S&S dealer can get you a bolt in 124 to replace your stock set up. We posted up a sheet that we just did that for a customer. Low compression touring engine making 129 hp and 141 tq. Huge low end grunt with tons of tq in the low mid range for moving the bagger down the road ;)
Below is example of a low compression crate engine with good exhaust and tuned

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »

agree`d about the low compression 124",VERY nice touring motor

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »

As Steve from GMR said "Star Racing" is just another dealer selling the S&S line up.  The last few years of our bad economy saw a number of motor manufacturers drop out of sight but they were not ones that I would consider.  The most popular choices are the S&S 124" crate motor, or the Harley 120".  Personally I'm not a mechanic by trade so I did not go with the 120 since I had enough with the 110.  I know the 120 can be purchased for less and made to run well but I wanted to try the S&S so one ended up in my 08 last March.  No regrets, it runs much cooler than the 110 and seems to handle two up and loaded down extremely well.  At one time I was looking into the Jim's 131" but after I read about the numerous issues from people on this site I dropped that idea real quick.  Find a mechanic in your area that you trust and talk to him about your options unless you will do all the work yourself.   As Steve said there are S&S motors all over so they are not that rare, and they will continue to be used more often as an alternative to those that need a new motor or just want more power.     

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »

As Steve from GMR said "Star Racing" is just another dealer selling the S&S line up.  The last few years of our bad economy saw a number of motor manufacturers drop out of sight but they were not ones that I would consider.  The most popular choices are the S&S 124" crate motor, or the Harley 120".  Personally I'm not a mechanic by trade so I did not go with the 120 since I had enough with the 110.  I know the 120 can be purchased for less and made to run well but I wanted to try the S&S so one ended up in my 08 last March.  No regrets, it runs much cooler than the 110 and seems to handle two up and loaded down extremely well.  At one time I was looking into the Jim's 131" but after I read about the numerous issues from people on this site I dropped that idea real quick.  Find a mechanic in your area that you trust and talk to him about your options unless you will do all the work yourself.   As Steve said there are S&S motors all over so they are not that rare, and they will continue to be used more often as an alternative to those that need a new motor or just want more power.     

Thank you RayG,
I already talked to my Indy. At first we try to save 110", but lifter failure damage it so badly that we decided to go for a new engine.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »

When the ESP runs out on the '09 SERG, I'll be looking hard at the S&S 124.
Haven't heard anything negative about this motor.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 10:24:27 AM »

Yeah there are some negatives.  It's darn cold out here right now and the 124 runs so much cooler I miss the heat to keep my hands & legs warm.  I also miss the valve train clatter that put me in a trance like state for miles upon miles.  It's not a perfect motor but I think it is a good choice if a replacement is needed.  If my 110 was running fine I would still be running it, I didn't make the swap for the performance gains, I was going to have the 110 turned into a 117 but the cost was lower to go with a new motor with a one year warranty.  It's all about making a decision that you feel comfortable with and having a good capable shop work with you.

Good Luck

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:30:59 AM »

Good choice, If I was faced with a new motor I would do the S&S 124 low compression setup.

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »

Yeah there are some negatives.  It's darn cold out here right now and the 124 runs so much cooler I miss the heat to keep my hands & legs warm.  I also miss the valve train clatter that put me in a trance like state for miles upon miles.  It's not a perfect motor but I think it is a good choice if a replacement is needed.  If my 110 was running fine I would still be running it, I didn't make the swap for the performance gains, I was going to have the 110 turned into a 117 but the cost was lower to go with a new motor with a one year warranty.  It's all about making a decision that you feel comfortable with and having a good capable shop work with you.

Good Luck
Me to, I'm looking for reliability, more than for performance gains. What additional parts did you have to buy to make it run?
Vlado

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 01:54:37 PM »

We have a client in the Syracuse, N.Y. area that had 80,000 miles/many seasons on his 124" when it broke an inner valve spring.
New springs, re-ring, valve job and he was back on it.
Don't know how many miles is on that engine now.
Solid engines no doubt.
Scott

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »

When I go to S&S website I do not see where they make a 124 for 2007 and latter, am I missing something ?

C-YA Ohiophil

Skipper

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 05:30:24 PM »

Dealers only. Chech with Steve at GMR-PERFORMANCE.com

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.