Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: exhaust tip help  (Read 2865 times)

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
exhaust tip help
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:56 PM »

I have a 2011 FLTRUSE with factory slip on with full sac cores, the end caps or tips come off with three screws(torx) the end slides  in the slip on, I bought some billet slash up/down Harley end caps off ebay part number 65100018 and they are same diameter as my pipes but you can tell they are meant to slide over not in the slip on.  they will not work as is, but looking at the Harley catalog they list for my slip on which are 4" . Thanks for any ideas.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: exhaust tip help
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »

I have a 2011 FLTRUSE with factory slip on with full sac cores, the end caps or tips come off with three screws(torx) the end slides  in the slip on, I bought some billet slash up/down Harley end caps off ebay part number 65100018 and they are same diameter as my pipes but you can tell they are meant to slide over not in the slip on.  they will not work as is, but looking at the Harley catalog they list for my slip on which are 4" . Thanks for any ideas.

I assume the caps you bought weren't designed to directly bolt on to the CVO mufflers, since most accessory end caps do not.  However, if you add an attachment ring as shown in the photo below you will then have a way to secure the new tip to the muffler.  At least this has worked for some folks, not certain about your exact mufflers though.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:28:05 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »

I thought they were designed to bolt on and both harley parts looked at that ring and will not help on factory cores or mine,buts thanks

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »

The adapters Jerry posted work fine on stock cvo mufflers, if you have larger then 1 3/4 fullsacks you have to ream the center slightly is your cap face similar to these? if your caps are open ended like the fishtails in Jerrys diagram you need 2 adapters piggybacked for the install. if your setup requires 2 adapters you may need some small spacers to get the fit just right.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 09:24:25 AM by dartman »

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »

another view

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 10:05:38 AM »

Thanks for pics my tips did not come with adapters wonder if they can be bought d
 Separate. But to be honest I may be over thinking it but to bolt my tips to my pipe it looks like I need that ring only wider and six holes 3 for slip and 3 for tips thanks for the help again

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »

If I'm not mistaken the CVO tip is attached to a ring with three screws, just like the ones you bought.  What I don't know is how that ring is attached to your stock muffler can, since the parts catalog drawing doesn't show any fasteners other than the three for the tip.  If you remove the three screws that hold your stock tip on and slide the tip off, how is the ring secured to the muffler can?  If it's welded in place and not secured with screws, you could always grind the welds and remove the ring, then replace it with the accessory mounting ring.  Depending on how deep the core is in the can, you may need to mount two rings back to back, drill the muffler for three holes to mount the ring to the muffler, then use the other rings holes to mount the tip. :nixweiss:  Of course if the Fullsac core is flush to the end of the can like those in Dartman's photos you could just mount the ring like the ones in his photos once the original ring was removed.

Anyhow, where there is a will (and grinding tools and drills), there is usually a way.

As for the rings, they can be purchased separately.

P/N 65275-07  Attachment Ring
P/N 8146  U-nuts (3 per ring)
P/N 2225  Countersunk Screws (3 per ring)
P/N 9493  Socket Head Screws (4 per) for direct mounting to end of core

Jerry

btw, unless the core is significantly recessed in the can, I would personally just mount the new attachment ring to the end of the core with spacers and longer socket head screws versus drilling holes in the chrome can.  You will be better able to tell what's going to be needed once you remove the original tip and ring.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:41:37 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

Thanks for pics my tips did not come with adapters wonder if they can be bought d
 Separate. But to be honest I may be over thinking it but to bolt my tips to my pipe it looks like I need that ring only wider and six holes 3 for slip and 3 for tips thanks for the help again
you are correct you need 6 holes the simple fix is two- 3 hole adapters bolted back to back ive done a bunch of them. like any thing else its easy after the first one and you have all the parts assembled good luck
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:19:48 PM by dartman »

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the help.

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »

Does anyone have a online dealer they recommend I could order those parts from thanks

easttnrhino

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 07:10:02 AM »

Well the adapters from harley are not avaible any more.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 10:34:37 PM »

Well the adapters from harley are not avaible any more.
They are but apparently your dealer is to lazy to track them down, I got my last order from Jenni Sapyta who was parts Manager at a number of dealerships until she left the business, I have no idea where she went but at the time she said she could get all I wanted, she was a gem to work with really miss her.

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.