Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proper way for long term storage on removed motor  (Read 1815 times)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Proper way for long term storage on removed motor
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »

I have been running the S&S 124 for two seasons in my 08 SERK and have had the older 110 motor on one of my work benches.  I would like to put the motor in storage properly and put it in the box the 124 came in.  I used to remove the spark plugs and install some Mystery oil in the cylinders and do a few rotations.  Is there a better procedure for protecting the internals for the cylinder walls & the overall exterior.  I have no plans for the motor at this time but things could change.  The 110 had the S&S lifter & bearing treatment once it was removed so it is ready to install if I need to.  I'm not the only one to discover how little they are worth when they are removed.  Any help on protecting the interior & exterior would be greatly appreciated as I need the room.

Thanks

Ray G

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Proper way for long term storage on removed motor
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »

You done good. Just remove the pushrods, and you'll be good to go.
John

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:44:28 AM »

I agree with John. I noticed in the local parts house recently that Seafoam makes an engine fogger spray to protect stored engines. Ive never used it but I do like the Seafoam product itself.
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:36:44 AM »

I agree with John. I noticed in the local parts house recently that Seafoam makes an engine fogger spray to protect stored engines. Ive never used it but I do like the Seafoam product itself.

:2vrolijk_21:

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »

I use the Seafoam for the gas tank on occasion and use it prior to dumping the crankcase oil, but I was not aware they made the product you mentioned, thanks.  I was hoping to sell the 110" but it was not to be.  Heck I didn't want it,  why would anybody be any different.  You went with the 120 and had very good luck with it while I went with the S&S 124.  If I was as handy as some of you guys and could do all the work myself I would have done things differently.  I guess we are both at or over the 20,000 mile mark,  hopefully we can put many more miles on the bigger motors.  I'm sure as heck enjoying mine, just wish I had more wind protection. 

Thanks Guys

Ray G. 

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »

Pull the lifters off the cam lobes, unless you plan on rotating the engine every so often, which by rights, would not be a bad idea in itself.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:34:20 PM »

Torco makes a spray assembly lube we use it on our long blocks, bored and honed cylinder kits. Its very sticky and will prevent rust without an issue. Texas is very humid and if it works here it will be fine there. You can spray it inside the spark plug hole roll it over a few times then coat the cylinder walls. You could spray the rocker area as well if you remove the push rods as that area can get rust in it. Plug all holes up tight. The "space bags"  you use a vacuum to seal up work great buy a medium size moisture canister from a sporting goods store, put it inside the bag and you are good to go. I had a 103 here,that was sealed up that way that we just sold and it had sat for 5 plus years. Customer installed it we did the first fire up. We primed the engine and it touched off like it had been run every day.   Car guys use that same type of storage for engines.  :2vrolijk_21:

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46:36 PM »

Seen first hand all too many times what metal/metal contact can do to the inside of an engine that has been out of service for extended periods, reason for the recommendation of rotating the assembly occasionally.......

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:44:36 AM »

Thanks for all the excellent ideas.  Now if anyone had the magical pitch to sell it along with all the parts I would be ecstatic.  I have included the 50mm TB, inner & outer primary case, oil pan, belt, sprocket, not counting the money I spent to have the S&S parts installed.  Had it for sale for $2,500.00 and got one call. 

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »

Another good source for engine store is your local Mercury Marine dealer. They have a Storage fogging product that allowed me to store my 115Merc for several years with no apparent damage. they also have an excellent Anti Corrosion spray. fwiw twinotter

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 25 queries.