Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 8G Ipod  (Read 1483 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
8G Ipod
« on: September 26, 2015, 10:07:12 AM »

Trying to get more volume out of ipod. If I go into settings, then music, then EQ, there is a setting called loudness that you can put a check mark behind this if you want too. What does this parameter do, and do I want to put a check mark in this setting or leave it without.
                     Jonnierock

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
Re: 8G Ipod
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 10:14:24 AM »

Hmmmm, yours must be a newer iPod than the one I had with my '011?  I don't remember having a loudness feature on that unit.
I would assume your loudness setting does what any "loudness" button does on a multitude of stereos.  I'd be careful for the bass output after selecting it as you may be overdriving the bass without realizing it.  If all else fails, get on the web and do some digging and you'll be sure to find your answer there.  In the meantime, someone may chime in with more smarts about it than I have!
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »

Just checked my '12 Ipod out...could not find loudness...but did play with the volume on the Ipod. I had it set at about 2/3 and the  (stock)deck limits the volume at times.  I set the Ipod volume to about 7/8 and the deck starts limiting the volume at a lower volume setting on the deck. The Ipod volume basically controls the input signal strength to the deck.

I have noticed that some songs..or albums ...don't have much volume compared to others. I'm sure it's the quality of the download. Gonna have to get better quality versions.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 03:56:49 PM »

depending on how you have your ipod attached, just changing the volume settings on the ipod may or may not do anything.  if you are running a wire from your output to the aux in on your headunit, then yes, you can adjust your volume through the ipod and the head unit.  (you are still on the 2012 correct?).  but if you have it connected via the ipod controller, then changing the volume on your ipod does nothing for sound output. 

the volume of the ipod should be roughly equivalent to the other input sources.  if it is not, then the first place I would check is the quality of your mp3 that you are trying to play.  2 things will come into play here, the bitrate of the song, and the volume at which it was created.  some older songs are a lot lower volume than the newer stuff.

my entire music collection will lnot fit on the ipod.  so what I do is to periodically shift a bunch of songs over into a directory (I call this 'tunes').  I then run a program called mp3gain on that directory to 'equalize' the output of all the songs so that they are roughly equal.  be careful with this program, you can introduce a lot of distortion and clipping if you go too high.  I stick with the default of 89.5 and I get plenty of volume on the highway.  I also have ripped all my cd collection at 320kbps using the program 'exact audio copy', and I use the website mp3va.com to purchase any mp3s I want.  they often have sales where tracks are .10 and if you buy the entire album, you get a 20% discount.  plus if you add a $30 credit, they will match with $15 bonus.  I have not had any problem with 'unauthorized purchases' using my cc, but if that were a concern, you could always get one of those prepaid cards from Walmart and use that. I then delete everything on my ipod and then import this directory into iTunes (I do not keep my entire library in iTunes either) and then upload that to my ipod.

I've also imported this directory into my garmin so if i'm using gps, I can still listen to my music via it's media player and still get turn by turn directions.  now, the garmin media player does have a considerably higher volume than all my other input sources, so if i'm using that, I do have to turn the headunit down 3 or 4 bars.

hope some of this helps, and if anyone else is reading this that has a 14 or newer, skip the ipod part (imo).  just use a thumbdrive, much easier, and don't have to mess with iTunes.  mp3gain, and exact audio copy will still work for you though.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »

My apple 8g ipod came with the bike. It's a 2012 cvo Roadglide. The Ipod is located in the top part of the right side saddle bag and is hardwired to the main unit. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me how to get more volume out of it.
Downloads came from itunes, and downloaded in max volume.
                  Jonnierock

dwarfsuzuki

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »

Increase your IPod volume to max and it will work.

68 XLCH

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »

Increase your IPod volume to max and it will work.

I agree i use two different ipods, one is a blue 6G from many many years ago and an old 60G classic.   I always insure that the volume on the IPOD is turned all the way up and then control the output volume with the bike.  The lower you set the ipod the less volume you will have.
2015 CVO Street Glide Hard Candy Merc/Smoky Qtz Flames, Stage 1, Fulsac pipes, V&H 450's, Passing Lights, CD front turn Signals.

Retired Army and State Police

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 11:38:06 PM »

that's all conditional on how you have your ipod connected.  mine is connected through the hd ipod controller.  using that, it doesn't matter if the ipod volume is all the way down, or all the way up, the output signal to the headunit is constant.  now if you're running a cable from the headphone jack on the ipod to the aux input, then yes, you need to turn your volume up.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.