Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused by head unit replacement ideas threads!!  (Read 1451 times)

Glenncarp

Confused by head unit replacement ideas threads!!
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:22:17 PM »

I have spent the last hour trying to find info on replacing my stock 2001 SERGU head unit and I am no closer to making a decision now then I was then!!! Can anyone answer the following?

What head unit did you purchase?

What wiring harness(es) to utilize handle bar controls?

My SE came with the IPOD in the right saddle bag, I would like to use it with the stock wire as it charges the IPOD. Did your setup have an IPOD connection?

Are you still able to use the CB and intercom functions with your new head unit?

What about the road noise function?

Mine also came with the Garmin 550 and a chrome mount that plays the voice guidance through the head unit. Is your unit able to do this?

The wife wants Christmas ideas and i need to steer her carefully in the right direction!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Glenn

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Confused by head unit replacement ideas threads!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »

Sure you mean 2001?

There are plug and play kits for the hookup of aftermarket head units.  Controls will still work.  You will lose all plug in modules (like CB).

mitch.smith

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Drk Slate and Blk Diamond
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »

The problem is not the head unit!!  its the speakers and Amps U need to change!!  U can spend as little or as much!!  I am building my 2012 CVO SESG out keeping radio and pod but replacing all the BOOM speakers and Amps!!  With Hybrid Audio speakers and 2 Rockford Fosgate 300W amps!

BaggerProud

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 banana
    • CVO2: 1994 FXSTC
    • CVO3: 1983 XLX
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:11:27 PM »

Not sure you mean 2001 SERG - 2010??  :nixweiss: But if you do have a 2001 - I have a 05 SEEG. I replaced the head unit with a unit from Biketronics. My iPhone (or ipod) goes inside the unit - I don't like the front wire/plug look - and everything is controlled from the handle bars. I don't have or use CB so can't help ya there.   :bananarock:

http://www.biketronics.com/
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:13:29 PM by BaggerProud »

UltraNutZ

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »

I have spent the last hour trying to find info on replacing my stock 2001 SERGU head unit and I am no closer to making a decision now then I was then!!! Can anyone answer the following?

What head unit did you purchase?

What wiring harness(es) to utilize handle bar controls?

My SE came with the IPOD in the right saddle bag, I would like to use it with the stock wire as it charges the IPOD. Did your setup have an IPOD connection?

Are you still able to use the CB and intercom functions with your new head unit?

What about the road noise function?

Mine also came with the Garmin 550 and a chrome mount that plays the voice guidance through the head unit. Is your unit able to do this?

The wife wants Christmas ideas and i need to steer her carefully in the right direction!
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Glenn

Im thinking you probably meant 2010 since you're referring to the CB, iPod module, and NIM harness that allows the Garmin TBT directions to come through the headunit.  If you want to retain all this functionality, you'll need to stay with a stock HD head unit.  Anything aftermarket and you'll for sure lose the CB/passenger communications and then you'll need a head unit that supports the bluetooth NMEA protocol for sending info from GPS to headunit, then you'll need a headunit that you either insert your iPod into the face of or run a cable to the rear bag for charging and iPod communication back to the head unit.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 10:38:47 AM »

Rather than change out the head unit, I decided to send the HK ('09 SERG) to Iron Cross Audio for F/R preamp outs, rear aux, and put a J&M amp and speakers. ICA will also fix any problems with the HK for you.
The "Ball & Chain" says the music is crystal clear at 90+
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.