Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anybody using the BDL Compensator??  (Read 5474 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Anybody using the BDL Compensator??
« on: November 08, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »

I found one person on here using it but haven't read any review.....anybody have any experience with it or am I buying the new HD setup???

Spoke to the tech at BDL--I asked about their belt drive for baggers figuring I would eliminate the damn thing all together, but instead of promoting the belt drive he told me just to buy the compensator. Hydraulic clutch compatible pressure plate for the belt drive setup comes out in 2 months. Obviously I don't need the belt drive, but if it could eliminate a problem and quiet things down then I would go for it. Or just buy a compensator.........

Mike

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Anybody using the BDL Compensator??
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »

I had a 1 1/2" belt primary on a built 2000 FXST. It was super quiet, but I think the B motors are quieter to start with. The dry primary has many advantages, to me anyway.  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 09:07:22 AM by 2ksoftail »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 08:44:16 PM »

I had a 1 1/2" belt primary on a built 2000 FXST. It was super quite, but I think the B motors are quiter to start with. The dry primary has many advantages, to me anyway. 

But would you put one on your '09?

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »

I don't think I would only because of the cooling problem. On the softail I had ball-mill groves cut all the way through both the inspection plate & derby cover and left the drain plug out. I thought it looked good, but thats on a Hot Rod, on a newer touring ???????? I think you can see it in the pic below

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »

I originally didn't want to do belt drive and I am still not sure since it is a touring bike...would rather just put a compensator in it so........I was hoping someone was using the BDL compensator and could provide some input....

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 04:26:13 PM »

I have the BDL comp on mine.  Seems to be working fine with less clunking at start up and shut down.  The biggest change I've noticed is the lack of metal shavings in the oil plug magnet with the BDL comp.  I have no idea how long it will last, but it couldn't possibly be worse than the stock comp, and it costs less to begin with.

So far, so good.  

Dan

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 04:41:09 PM »

When BDL came out with their version of a compensator I looked at all the information they made available and the photo's of the parts that make up the piece.  I was not impressed at all, and stated that at the time when someone on the site asked about it.  There is no way this device can absorb the energy that the Harley compensator absorbs, and since the real purpose of the compensator is to protect the crank and primary components I think I'd stick with the more capable piece. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 06:00:26 PM »

When BDL came out with their version of a compensator I looked at all the information they made available and the photo's of the parts that make up the piece.  I was not impressed at all, and stated that at the time when someone on the site asked about it.  There is no way this device can absorb the energy that the Harley compensator absorbs, and since the real purpose of the compensator is to protect the crank and primary components I think I'd stick with the more capable piece.  

JMHO - Jerry

Completely agree, Jerry...  I've said all along I'd rather have a compensator that protects the drivetrain but wears out prematurely than have a bulletproof compensator that doesn't adequately protect the drivetrain.  Of course, nirvana is to have a compensator that both is bulletproof and protects the drivetrain, but up until now you'd have to buy something other than a Harley to achieve that goal...   :nixweiss:

(or stick with a pre-07 Harley!)   ::)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »

I don't think I would only because of the cooling problem. On the softail I had ball-mill groves cut all the way through both the inspection plate & derby cover and left the drain plug out. I thought it looked good, but thats on a Hot Rod, on a newer touring ???????? I think you can see it in the pic below

In the Picture, it looks like you're on the Loop?
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:15:58 PM »

In the Picture, it looks like you're on the Loop?

:jack:
Yep, went to the first 12 Biketoberfest, missed the last few.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 12:39:47 PM »

I guess I should forget the belt drive idea also?

Snowyone

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 01:26:27 PM »

I wouldn't go with a belt drive for sure.  Without the compensator there is nothing to absorb the uneven pulses of the engine and it becomes a bit jerky at lower rpms.  I've used them on lighter bikes and dealt with the pulses.  They've also left me stranded a couple of times due to breakage which kind of soured me to but these were on the early belt drives and the newer ones probably have better belts.  On another note I just put the SE compensator on my new 124 build and it still makes a big clank on starting some times. Go figure?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 01:37:33 PM »

The belt is said to absorb the shock and pulses the same way the compensator does.....had a belt drive years ago in an FXR and it worked OK. Different motor and trans though. The more I think about this, the more I think I am going to own the latest offering from the MoCo.........hope it is better than the last one.

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »

Loved my belt drive. Had it on the scoot in the pic for 4yrs, 82K. Never a hiccup, super quite, ZERO clunk to 1st. That was on a 95" built up beast, 126hp on a >500lb bike. What a blast. Dump the clutch and HOLD on.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 21 queries.