Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swingarm Rebuild  (Read 4429 times)

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Swingarm Rebuild
« on: December 25, 2010, 08:36:56 PM »

Ive been chasing a vibration on the 05 SEEG. Ive found that one of the swingarm bearings was very loose and that the rubber mounts had been rubbing on the frame both sides. Waiting on parts now. Thanks to you guys that have offered to help and even lend tools. Doing the alighnment after i reassemble-Things ive done.
replace front motormount (twice)
replace plug wires
re-torque compensator nut
pull cams and ck crank runout (.001)
swingarm bearings & rubber mounts
new wheel bearings front & rear

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

Re: Swingarm Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2010, 08:41:41 PM »

-

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »

-

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »

-

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:01:31 PM »

pull cams and ck crank runout (.001)

Van

That has to make you happy!
Good luck on the rest!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »

Perfect time to chrome the swingarm  :huepfenlol2:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 10:20:37 PM »

well that took care of the bad vibes :2vrolijk_21: new bearings,bushings & rubber mounts. used the alighnment tool and threw on some new wheel bearings. 58000 miles its time for the swingarm rebuild or its past time for it. thanks again for the help :bananarock: :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »

well that took care of the bad vibes :2vrolijk_21: new bearings,bushings & rubber mounts. used the alighnment tool and threw on some new wheel bearings. 58000 miles its time for the swingarm rebuild or its past time for it. thanks again for the help :bananarock: :bananarock:

That's good news Van.  Good news you cured the problem.  50k is my personal service interval for swingarm overhauls "just because."  So you're in line with expectations there.  Glad she's all buttoned up and happy again.

Apologies for the sudden semi-jack of this thread.  But this just made me realize I've got no idea what to expect for a service interval on the swingarm of the old SERG.  It's swingarm was slightly tweaked when a shock broke internally away from home.  Replaced it all with the newer style swingarm and used a sta-bo bushing kit that lets the new swingarm work on the old transmission and it's smaller shaft.  The setup works great.  Bike handles wonderfully.  And the 02 and up swingarm is definitely an improvement.  But I don't know what to expect for life out of those bushings.  Might have to be a 20k or so tear down just to look and see.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »

Van,

Just a suggestion, but how manyh miles do you have on the belt? Since you already have it al apart, you may want to install a new one and change out the sprockets.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

mrigeo

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 04:56:36 PM »

That's good news Van.  Good news you cured the problem.  50k is my personal service interval for swingarm overhauls "just because."  So you're in line with expectations there.  Glad she's all buttoned up and happy again.

Apologies for the sudden semi-jack of this thread.  But this just made me realize I've got no idea what to expect for a service interval on the swingarm of the old SERG.  It's swingarm was slightly tweaked when a shock broke internally away from home.  Replaced it all with the newer style swingarm and used a sta-bo bushing kit that lets the new swingarm work on the old transmission and it's smaller shaft.  The setup works great.  Bike handles wonderfully.  And the 02 and up swingarm is definitely an improvement.  But I don't know what to expect for life out of those bushings.  Might have to be a 20k or so tear down just to look and see.

Don,

Looking to do the same upgarade on my '01 SERG. Have a 2004 swing arm, 1" axle, and brake caliper. Does the '01 and '04 use the same brake fluid? Did you look at the Custom Cycle Engineering kit beofre going with Sta-Bo?

Thanks,
George 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 06:27:21 PM »

Don,

Looking to do the same upgarade on my '01 SERG. Have a 2004 swing arm, 1" axle, and brake caliper. Does the '01 and '04 use the same brake fluid? Did you look at the Custom Cycle Engineering kit beofre going with Sta-Bo?

Thanks,
George  

George, if I remember correctly 01 did not use DOT5 fluid.  If it did, however, I'd take the opportunity of having it apart to flush and go away from it.  DOT 5 is such a pain to work with.  Rather use a good high temp synthetic DOT4 any day.

I used the Sta-Bo kit when I changed mine.  Based on nothing other than a coin flip though.  Never found anyone who'd used both to make a comparison.  If I did it again I'd used the other kit as the Sta-Bo bushings I got had a slight machining error.  

Having said that in service it's been fine.  Bike is tight and feels good.  Nice firm rear end and no more concerns over the old style swingarm cracking.  I've got no practical complaints about how the Sta-Bo kit has performed.  Because of the imperfection of center machining of the bushing I received it was a pain in the ass to get done.  Lacking that problem would have been a straightforward parts swap.  It is a worthwhile improvement nonetheless.  

Brief description of the change in a couple of posts here (I was frustrated that night):

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=41069.msg638550#msg638550
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:54:59 AM by Twolanerider »

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »

I used the Custom Cycle kit on my swing arm change out. It came with Poly bushings and everything has been fine since.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

woodman

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 12:16:10 PM »

VANAMAL, Question for you .What products did you use on your rebuild and are you still happy with said parts?

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 25 queries.