Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Saddlebag Speaker Lids with the Boom Speaker Kit  (Read 12270 times)

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
HD Saddlebag Speaker Lids with the Boom Speaker Kit
« on: August 16, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

I will be doing the install of the  Saddlebag Speaker Lids with the Boom Saddlebag Speaker Kit.  I have a few weeks (well more like 4-5 weeks) of waiting until the parts get in.  Wanted to start researching the requirements for the installation.  So, looking for folks that have done this exact install on a CVO RGC for any tips/tricks/suggestions.

The description on the HD website has the following: “Dealer Digital Technician software update is required. Dealer installation is recommended.”  Is this something that I can do at home (the software update), or must be done at the Dealer??

I have both the Workshop Manual and the Supplemental Book for my RGC CVO...

What else will I need?

Parts ordered:

Color-Matched Saddlebag Speaker Lids in Candy Cobalt:
P/N 90200614BKO - Left
P/N 90200615BKO - Right

Boom!™ Audio Saddlebag Speaker Kit P/N 76000275

A few threads I looked at for reference:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=73906.0

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=72458.0

And a few pdf files:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05386.pdf

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J05408.pdf

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:02:35 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: HD Saddlebag Speaker Lids with the Boom Speaker Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »

Will stay tuned to this thread! I've got the HW DX speakers in the fairing and lowers and the 300w amp, would love to fill in the back end!

Could I order the lids color matched to my 09 SERG, or would I have to have them painted? How much are you into the project in parts?

Look forward to seeing how it turns out!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:09:45 AM »

Will stay tuned to this thread! I've got the HW DX speakers in the fairing and lowers and the 300w amp, would love to fill in the back end!

Could I order the lids color matched to my 09 SERG, or would I have to have them painted? How much are you into the project in parts?

Look forward to seeing how it turns out!

They have them painted to match in a lot of HD colors.  Check the HD parts section to see if your color is there:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448777401&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491575&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302491575&locale=en_US&locale=en_US&bmUID=1345125819390&bmLocale=en_US

I ordered the parts from New Castle Harley-Davidson.

Products on order:
1 x    90200614BKO - $250.80
SKU: HD-90200614BKO

1 x    90200615BKO - $250.80
SKU: HD-90200615BKO

1 x    76000275 - $786.45
SKU: HD-76000275

Shipping was 79.95, but I also ordered the backrest as well...

Initially I ordered the lids primed.  But later found that they had them color to match for mine, so the first set of lids are for sale.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=76934.0

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:45:18 PM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

Thanks!

No luck on pre-painted lids for the '09 SERG.  :(

Might have to look in to another option. Since I already have the Hawg Wired system, for $790 I could get the lids (with the speaker grill that only comes out the front of the lid, not the top) and 6.5" speakers. Add another $250 for a satellite amp and I'd just be left with paint cost.

http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php?cPath=60&products_id=156

Look forward to hearing how much of a difference you think it makes adding them.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »

Passenger backrest and saddlebag speakers with painted lids arrived... I need a clear mind to do this... not the time tonight...

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »

Wife was going to kick my ass if I left that mess on the floor... so I installed the speakers to the lids... and got rid of all the other empty boxes.

Speaker in lid, snap the back cover in place, four screws with T25 torx screws, drop rubber washers in the holes of the screws where the grill drops in, four more (shorter) T25 torx screws to hold the grill in place... done.  Plug the wires into the speaker.  Rinse and repeat.

The base for the amp goes next... moun the amp, it slides in place and has pins that insert into rubber grommets.

The two red strip is 3M double face tape (the gray version)... that is how it is installed in the saddlebag.

That is it for now... room now better organized without the mess on the floor... will continue this over the weekend.

Wrapped everything back into its packaging and only two boxes left with the lids and speakers installed...  you can also see the passenger backrest done...

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Ultra Classic Riptide Blue.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »

That is so awesome. Nothing like new parts, and a wife who stays out of your hair.  Those are  fleeting moments so make them last as long as you can. Before you know it you are vacuuming, washing dishes and shopping again :( Keep the picks coming, would love to see the rest of the install. Cheers.
I may be a head of cabbage, but I am ahead of you!!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

I cringe every time I have to put another hole in the saddlebags...

I know I said I was going to leave this for the weekend... well.. got a few things done today.  So for the weekend I will leave the task of taking off the front fairing and hooking up to the radio and harness.

Cut the template and tape it... brace yourself and start drilling... for the rectangular hole I drilled holes in each corner and then I use a jigsaw to cut from one to the next... easy, just remember NOT to let the jigsaw touch the saddlebag, or cover with paper the saddlebag if you are, so that the vibration from the baseplate of the jigsaw does not scratch the bag.

Rinse and repeat

Also took the time to drill for the spoiler lids LEDs

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »

Man, nothing like new stuff!!!!!!!!!!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »

Installed but pending the install of the harness from the back to the radio and then taking it to the dealer for the programming they have to do... 

I did, however, connect the spoiler LEDs.  Those are fully functional now.

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:51:46 AM »

After a year!!... finally finished connecting the rear speakers!!

Remove tank, remove cover for center wire channel...

Route the speaker harness... and cover the channel again... if you can... I had to rearrange the wires a little to accomodate the new harness.

There...

Instructions tells you to test everything before putting the tank back... but really, what can go wrong on the harness that would require me to remove it again... pushing lady luck...

Now to get all these connectors and wires through the side hole where all the other harness go through... fun... not!

After what felt like eternity, the wires are in... and reading the instructions, since I do not have the integrated Navigation nor Sat Radio setup... I don't really need the other connectors... only need to insert these wires/terminals into the existing plug.

Since I had the rear saddlebags spoiler light kit, I was already using the acc plug... had to get a Y adapter.

All set and working... all I have to do next is take the bike to the dealer for a software update and some enabling of the equalizer to control the rear speakers... software is free, labor is not, I hope is a quick thing...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:34:59 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

CVO2FIXUP

• 1K CVO Member
  • Canada Eh!!!
    • ON

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »

How did the wife tolerate all the attention you paid to the bike over this project?  When I tinker, my wife takes it very badly. Major bitch session follows any bike maintenance. I just laugh, and tell her to get a life. We are stuck together 24/7 as it is!!  But I do love those solitary moments with new parts though.

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »

How did the wife tolerate all the attention you paid to the bike over this project?  When I tinker, my wife takes it very badly. Major bitch session follows any bike maintenance. I just laugh, and tell her to get a life. We are stuck together 24/7 as it is!!  But I do love those solitary moments with new parts though.

Because she can open the garage door and see me working on the bike... so she knows where I am... at the garage and not at some bar looking at boobs and drinking beer.  :coolblue:  I also work mostly during the night, I would be in the garage at crazy hours... it is my therapy, what can I say...

Did I tell you about the time I took the 48 into the living room because it was just too frigging hot outside?  At least it was cheaper than putting an A/C unit in the garage  :huepfenlol2:

Plus she has her own ride... Since many years ago (1999 or so...) I kept asking her to ride with me... she always refused and said she did not trust her life to me on the bike... one year, out of the blue, she went at took the Motorcycle Safety Course and bought her own bike.  A Harley...this was when I had a Yamaha and a Honda... It was back in 20008, she bought a Nightstert that she later changed, in 2011, for a Softail Deluxe...  But after so many years, she might be starting to give in.  This photo is of the first time she got on the bike with me... even if it was for a ride around the block, she finally did it (this was last weekend...) .  Baby steps... maybe next time she will ride in the back with me for a longer ride...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:19:49 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »

Forgot to confirm the software update.  Took the bike the next day of the harness install to get the software update.  What it does is to add the Fader function to the headunit.  Dealer charged me 60.00 for labor.

Everything working fine.  As others have mentioned....I can't hear the rear speaker when riding (well, unless I turn my head sideways).  But coming to a stop sign or just parked...sounds great.
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.