Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If Harley Davidson is American made...  (Read 804 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
If Harley Davidson is American made...
« on: November 12, 2006, 10:08:58 AM »

Why is all the clothing and stuff made in China? I got a buddy that refuses to buy anything from HD that has china stamped on it. Just thought this might bring in a few cool comments.
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: If Harley Davidson is American made...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »

Look at the label in almost every item of clothing in your closet...hardly any clothing is manufactured in this country any longer and HD is no exception.  Most of their leather goods come from foreign countries as well.  I purchase my leather from Fox Creek and just sew on whatever patch I want.  HD would have to charge you 50 bucks for a t-shirt instead of 25 if it were made here.  If it's got HD on it, just tack on 100% over what it should cost.  The textile/apparel industry has all moved out of the USA, with rare exceptions.  Even if the cloth is made here, it's shipped somewhere else to be sewn.

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Bagger

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 11:00:38 AM »

It's not just the clothing.  Some of the accessories are manufactured offshore as well.  Without getting off my @ss and going out to the garage to verify, I do know that my HD labeled finned headbolt bridges are made in China.......as are the majority of the rest of my OCD purchases......if not all.  Then we can think about the stock items.  Anybody want to guess where that HD labeled Harmon-Kardon sound system is made?  (Hint:  look on the amp).
It all comes down to this:  Just about everything we buy with American TM is made in foreign countries.  My Dodge truck says "Hecho in Mexico."  The capabilities we develop for our Soldiers have offshore components from countries like Denmark, Germany, Ireland...........and yes, even China.

Doesn't this just SUCK?  Well, yes and no.  Yes, because we all want to support the American worker, and it appears the end stop for our dollar ends up overseas.  No, because as TCnBham points out.......imagine how much more it would cost if it was made on American soil.  JMHO.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 12:09:02 PM »

It has always amazed me how the non-manufacturing sectors of the economy think it's perfectly OK to let our manufacturing base wither and die in the name of slightly cheaper consumer prices.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 12:14:48 PM »

[highlight]Why is all the clothing and stuff made in China?[/highlight] I got a buddy that refuses to buy anything from HD that has china stamped on it. Just thought this might bring in a few cool comments.

OK, I have a friend that ran a HD shop in.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 12:15:39 PM by Rjob749 »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 01:40:04 PM »

Wow tommyo,
You sure know how to open a big can of worms with this topic! ;D

If your friend is serious he may have to stop riding a Harley. I know the MOCO doesn't like to mention the fact that many parts on our beloved Harleys are made overseas. I saw an article several years ago that if you examined all of the minor parts
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 01:41:52 PM by VaEagle »

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.