Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated gear wiring failures  (Read 1775 times)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Heated gear wiring failures
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »

I use my heated jacket liner and heated gloves a lot.  I have had failures at the junction of the wiring and the connectors both at the glove and at the jacket liners connector for the glove.  The problem as I see it is the wiring coming from the jacket liner is too short and after the connection is made and the glove is put on, the wiring is forced to make a sharp 90-degree (or more) bend right at the connector.  The glove wire is larger and stiffer than the wire coming from the jacket sleeve so the jacket sleeve is more likely to have a sharp bend.  Repeated glove removal and re-insertion keeps bending the wiring back and forth resulting in a fatigue break. 
If anyone has a solution to this issue, I'd like to hear it.  I bought a spare jacket liner due to the 6 week turnaround for warranty repairs by HD/Gerbing.  I have added electrical tape to the wiring at the point where the wire joins the connector to attempt to prevent a sharp bend in the wiring and reduce fatigue breaks.  Electrical tape is not that strong so I am considering adding some auto pinstriping tape as well.
Any thoughts?
T-man

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Heated gear wiring failures
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:19 AM »

Can you put some heat shrink on/around it and keep building it up in different size increments? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:51:23 PM »

Dunno - good thought....will investigate!  Gerbing should have redesigned the junction points by now as they must get a bunch with this type of failure.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:05:40 PM »

Dunno - good thought....will investigate!  Gerbing should have redesigned the junction points by now as they must get a bunch with this type of failure.

They have.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

?? Have they???  I just bought another jacket liner and it has the same wiring size/issue as my 2 year old liner.  Maybe it's better on the microwire liners but I don't think so based on what I saw at my dealer.
T

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »

?? Have they???  I just bought another jacket liner and it has the same wiring size/issue as my 2 year old liner.  Maybe it's better on the microwire liners but I don't think so based on what I saw at my dealer.
T

I hope that you're buying the Gerbing brand and not the HD brand.  Both the same product.....Gerbing has a life time warrantee, HD has a two year warranty.....but they do have the built in failure rate that's typical for HD. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »

That's not so; HD has a lifetime warranty on wiring, same as Gerbing. I've already used it on my gloves once.
T

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »

That's not so; HD has a lifetime warranty on wiring, same as Gerbing. I've already used it on my gloves once.T

And they're over two years old?  How long has Gerbing been making heated gear for HD?

Other posts here have indicated that HD has a limited time frame on their warranty....I thought it was two years and that was repeated at the Gerbing booth at the IMS.  I stand to be corrected.  What does your warranty say?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:16:58 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 06:06:59 PM »

I don't know how long Gerbing has been making heated gear for HD, the booklet that came with my gear has no date in it but it lists Gerbing and the Gerbing Warranty Dept in Tumwater, WA as the location to return for warranty claims (or your HD dealer, which I have done).

The warrant says:

"When you purchase this Harley Davidson heated garment within the United States and Europe, the electrical components of the garment are warrantied to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the life of the garment.  All other components of the garment are warrantied to be free from factory defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of the first retail purchase."

They fixed my 2 year old right glove wiring and the dealer told me to bring in my liner to get the sleeve to glove wiring fixed...free.

See Gateway HD online, they also state "lifetime warranty" for liner and gloves.  http://gatewayharley.blog.com/tag/heated-gear/
T

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:56 PM »

HD sent my liner in because the circuit for the left glove quit working. HD said they were unable to repair it and had the dealer order me a brand new liner for free... I notice on the new liner that they now have access seams made for getting to the internal wiring. I bought the original liner used for half price, but HD didn't even ask me for a receipt. They just replaced it for me.... :2vrolijk_21:

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 04:07:29 AM »

just took my gloves in for repair HD and they were around 4 years old and still under warranty

now if they would only get back it's cold here they have been out for 4 1/2 weeks so far
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »

I just got a reply about some repairs on my gear and Gerbing advised that the HD branded stuff is back in HD's hands for warranty issues.

From Gerbing:
We are sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your Gerbing LLC items.

You would need to contact customer service to set up an RAQ number to send the items in for repair.
Our customer service number is 1-800-646-5916 Monday -  Friday 8 am – 8 pm EST.
One of our customer service representatives would be happy to assist you.

As of August 1st Harley Davidson has taken over the repairs of any product branded with the Harley logo you would need to send the Harley products in to them for warranty work that number is 1-800-258-2464.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.