Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scary noise - any ideas?  (Read 1362 times)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Scary noise - any ideas?
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »

Today while I was warming up m y '13 FLHTCUSE, it made made a gawdawful sound.  It was parked and idling when a grinding/scraping noise just happened spontaneously.  It sounded exactly like the kickstand was LOUDLY scraping across concrete, and lasted approx 1 to 2 seconds.  This is the third time since buying the bike that it's happened in 9 months, and it just seems to be random.  It has only happened after idling for a few minutes, not at start up, and the bike has always run fine.  It never lasts long enough for me to localize it, but I think it's coming from the left side (primary?).  Every time it's happened the bike was parked with the kickstand down, not moving at all, and just idling.  Motor is stock except for mufflers and an ECM download from the dealer.

Any ideas what it could be, or what I need to ask the dealer to look for?  Like I said earlier, it's completely random and has only happened 3 times in 9 mos, so I guarantee they won't be able to replicate it at the dealership.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
Re: Scary noise - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:46:27 PM »

Did you rule out the compensator nut? Just a suggestion from a feller not doing his own wrenching anymore.

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:37:48 AM »

Might be the starter pinion not retracting properly.  I had a Softail that had that issue.  Sounded horrible, but wouldn't do it for the dealer.  Eventually it stopped of it's own accord.  But at the 5K service there was a lot of metal on the drain plug and on opening it up, there was some milling on the ring gear. 

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 11:02:40 AM »

A few bikes ago I also had a pinion problem. DO NOT let this go unreported to the dealer.  Explain the problem to the SM and have him write it up, and document Everything. If he wants to charge you for cracking the primary (time, fluid) agree to pay for it as long as he doesn't find anything. It sounds like he will, and then HD can pay for the repair. This way you are on record with the problem, and have the facts on your side.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 11:21:21 AM »

+1 what the Owl said. Good advice.

rbabos

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:19:46 PM »

Saw a softail do this once. Cause was the relay trying to engage the starter. It was random as well. New relay solved the problem.
Ron

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:00:38 PM »

Thanks for the input, everybody.  :znotworthy:  The starter pinion makes sense.  At least I can get the dealership to check it out.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 25 queries.