Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AR paint recommendation  (Read 770 times)

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
AR paint recommendation
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:07:45 PM »

Buddy of mine has an old Colt A2. Black furniture which I just replaced for him. Was very worn and faded. And now with the new black pieces the receivers look even more greenish black. It's the old finish they used when their furniture didn't even match brand new. He wants to refinish the upper and lower to match the modern black gun standard. Has anyone done this and can recommend a spray that's dead on? He just picked up a Rock River varmint upper that he wants to match it to. Looks very mismatched with the RR on top. Getting a new lower is out of the question...

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: AR paint recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:05:45 AM »

I don't know about do it yourself refinishing but have had several things done by this company and have always been pleased. It has held up very well.
http://robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »

All the home finishes I have tried failed or scratched easily,even the ones you bake after application.Maybe check with Rock River and see what they recomend so it will match.I own AR's from three different manufacturers and each has subtle differences.
T-MAN 117 kit

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

Thanks, I didn't see anything on cost. If you don't mind or PM what you paid to have service done. I'll run it by him as an option. That looks like a good option.
I thought about powder coating, I'd have to check with a place local to see whether they'd do it or not. But then IDK about whether that'd affect tolerances on the upper. Doing the lower I don't see a problem with.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:36:25 AM »

Far off from matching in comparison

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:37:05 AM »

All the home finishes I have tried failed or scratched easily,even the ones you bake after application.Maybe check with Rock River and see what they recomend so it will match.I own AR's from three different manufacturers and each has subtle differences.

What product did you use that you bake on?

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:45:19 AM »

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/bake-on-aerosol-paints/gun-kote-trade-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1150.aspx.The matte black would be the closest match.It held up ok on an AK 47 lower but wore off rather quickly where the safety ran down the outside of the lower.Of course every AK has the finish wore off the first time you use the safety.I have never priced refinishing a lower,but as cheap as they are right now I would bet it would cost close to or more than a new lower.
T-MAN 117 kit

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:26 AM »

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/metal-prep-coloring/paint-finishes/bake-on-aerosol-paints/gun-kote-trade-oven-cure-gun-finish-prod1150.aspx.The matte black would be the closest match.It held up ok on an AK 47 lower but wore off rather quickly where the safety ran down the outside of the lower.Of course every AK has the finish wore off the first time you use the safety.I have never priced refinishing a lower,but as cheap as they are right now I would bet it would cost close to or more than a new lower.
Sorry the link didn't work,the product is GUN-KOTE
T-MAN 117 kit

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »

Sorry the link didn't work,the product is GUN-KOTE

Thanks, unfortunately he can't buy any new lowers because they've recently been deemed evil...

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »

Sorry to hear he lives in a communist state.Those scary black guns are just plain evil! >:(
T-MAN 117 kit

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.