Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1K service, SE Race tuner & Dyno  (Read 1318 times)

Red an

1K service, SE Race tuner & Dyno
« on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »

First off, this forum is great. Good and plentiful information and great people. Here goes. My new sled is  2013 CVO RK. I replaced stock exhaust with Jackpot Headpipe & Mufflers. (if you could call them mufflers). They sound Freakin AWESOME!!! I then took it in for the 1K service and had dealership install SE Race tuner and set it up on the dyno. Its making Roughly 90 HP & 110 FT/LBS. I'd like to be closer to 100 & 115+ with a much flatter torque curve. Experts out there have any ideas?
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:15:43 PM by Red an »
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!!!

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: 1K service, SE Race tuner & Dyno
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:17:42 PM »

I think it's your tune.  Your combination should have no problem making your target numbers.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »

Unless you're racing, HP numbers are kind of irrelevant, as maximum HP takes high RPM's to achieve.  Most HD touring bike riders live between 2200 and 4500 RPM, where the maximum TQ resides.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:02 PM »

Try a different place for a better tune, but don't expect miracles from a simple pipe change.  And you won't get a flat torque curve with the stock cam, which is all about bottom end grunt and a rapid drop off up top.

Btw, that chart you posted is just a bit strange.  Did you notice that the before run was dated 2/2/2012 and the test conditions were vastly different to what was reported for the final run? 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »

To get your target #s You will probably have to go to cams / compression or both.

You didn't say how the bike runs now or the improvement other than sound??
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Red an

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 03:40:23 PM »

Midnight Rider: your point is well taken. it is the flat torque curve I'm lusting after, not horsepower. So much. Any advice on cam's? Compression wont change at this stage.

grc: I didn't notice the date - weather discrepancy. I know it was on the dyno by 10am 11/26 and I was charged 4 hrs total. do you have a best guess as to how this went down. Are these even MY numbers? is the question that comes to my mind. I hate always being the suspicious one >:(

when I picked it up it started, idled and overall ran better (smoother). it was dark and cold so a proper ride is still yet to happen. overall I'm happy.
Thanks,
Rod
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!!!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »

Midnight Rider: your point is well taken. it is the flat torque curve I'm lusting after, not horsepower. So much. Any advice on cam's? Compression wont change at this stage.

grc: I didn't notice the date - weather discrepancy. I know it was on the dyno by 10am 11/26 and I was charged 4 hrs total. do you have a best guess as to how this went down. Are these even MY numbers? is the question that comes to my mind. I hate always being the suspicious one >:(

when I picked it up it started, idled and overall ran better (smoother). it was dark and cold so a proper ride is still yet to happen. overall I'm happy.
Thanks,
Rod

Typical numbers that I've seen on this forum from changing the pipes to something like a Fullsac X pipe and 2" cores in the stock cans are in the 95HP and 114TQ range, give or take a couple of points.  Not always, but LOUD sometimes actually decreases the numbers...it's all a compromise to some extent.  The stock cams do fall on their face above 4K, but they really are not bad from 2200 to 4000 from a purely TQ point of view.  It depends on your riding style.  There are many here who are more well versed in cam choices than I am, so I defer to their expertise.  I generally never messed with the motors on my bikes...I spent my money on handling issues.  I know that GMR (he is a vendor here) has a nice cam that produces nice TQ without a lot of work.  There are others too.  I'm sure those in the know will chime in with suggestions...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.