Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Result after spill...  (Read 1145 times)

Gearheadfmc

• Full CVO Member
Interesting Result after spill...
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »

So, last February, I was lucky enough to hit a patch of loose gravel while negotiating a turn one early morning.  I am the proud owner of a titanium right lower leg (knee on down)!  I was not riding for about 5 month after the implant.

Riding is fine .... after 5 months off the bike, hopped back on and it felt like that last time I rode was the day before..... nice.....

Buddies all asked if I notice any hesitation or fear to getting back into the saddle?  "Nope....none", hopped on and off I went.

Since I've owned this 2011 CVO Ultra, I would get 32-33mpg all of the time!  Didn't seem that it would change much regardless of how I was riding.....

Interesting results in the past 6 months.......  gas mileage has been a good strong 40mpg....... after the crash....!

I guess something did change, hahahaha, I've become a little less aggressive in my riding style.  Never thought much about my "aggressive style" as I have always been and offensively defensive rider.

Just goes to show.....

Gearheadfmc

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Interesting Result after spill...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of exotic metal implants, lol.  Like you I have a titanium rod in my tibia - the left leg.  Broke it 5 years ago and it kept me off the bike for about 3 1/2 months.  Would have been longer since the spiral fracture still had a 'fracture gap' after 12 weeks but I talked the doc into going ahead and doing a bone graft to speed up the process (which he said they have to do oftentimes anyway). 

Only problem I had initially was lifting my foot to downshift (I use the heel shifter to up-shift).  But it got better and I don't even notice it now, well, except for the protrusion of the screws at my knee and ankle which pin the rod.

Not much fun breaking bones and I try very, very hard nowadays to avoid that if at all possible!   :2vrolijk_21:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 04:42:05 PM »

I too am a member of the titanium tibia club. I was making a right turn and the center stand hit the pavement taking a chunk out of the stand and lifted the rear tire from the pavement.  Took about 3 1/2 months to get back on but it is now a distant memory.  I did save a damaged highway peg that i kept on the bike as a reminder. Getting back in the saddle is the best cure for high mpg!
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »

Sounds like your "self preservation mode" has kicked in. You can probably overide it, but why. Your inner body sometimes knows best!!! Enjoy your time back in the saddle & the increase in MPG.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 06:36:04 PM »

I just had my titanium buddy removed from my wrist after 2 years.  Glad you're back up on two wheels.
The best you've had is the best you know.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »

Ride easy and enjoy the 40mpg.

Glad you are back riding

WildWes72

• Git-R-Done....
  • Full CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: CVO Breakout
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:54:42 PM »

Wow what a trade off, I don't know if I could go that route. Glad you your up and running, stay safe...... ;D
2014 CVO Breakout, Sedona
V&H 2-into-2 BCM Baffels
High Comp 10.5: 259 cam
Dynojet PV/Autotune Pro

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.