Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dyno Machines  (Read 821 times)

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
Dyno Machines
« on: January 10, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »

Are there both good and bad Dyno machines?  When I search for a vendor to tune my bike, are there questions I should ask about the dyno machine they use?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:16:57 PM by Foot Loose »
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
Re: Dyno Machines
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 11:39:43 PM »

To do a good job tuning, an eddy current brake is needed. Beyond that, perhaps the most important part is the person operating the dyno, not necessarily the dyno's brand name. Typically, people that want their bike tuned on a certain brand of dyno do not understand the in and outs and the more important aspects of tuning. Just because you get your bike tuned on a "brand X" dyno, does not insure you will get a good tune/running bike. Also, just because you get a dyno sheet with big numbers or good looking curves does not mean your bike runs optimally. Tuning a bike correctly or making sure an engine is tuned correctly requires spending time with each bike and should be appreciated by the bikes owner and not necessarily viewed as a bad thing or a problem. A proper tune is well worth the time, effort and money spent and can protect and make your investment much more enjoyable and longer lasting. A good tune is something you'll appreciate every time you start and ride your bike.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:55:01 PM by INDEPENDENT_1 »
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 12:10:27 AM »

I would also ask how long the tuner plans to spend tuning the bike.  There are a lot of tuners out there that get paid by the tune, so the more they do in a day the more money they make.  These guys tend to cut corners to get the job done more quickly.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 01:31:19 PM »

The dyno is a tool, like any other tool. The person using the tool is what makes the difference. I would at least ask for before and after results and more than that ask if they will be tuning start-up and all part throttle operation points. WOT makes for pretty dyno sheets and there are tons of tricks to make them look better or worse by the operator. That said, if when talking with them you do not have a good feeling I would look else where.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Foot Loose

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »

thanks for the comments.  I didn't know if some machines monitor one cylinder and the exhaust gases.  Or I didn't know if there are simple machines that won't get the job done. 
I'd rather push a Harley, than ride a Honda

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 25 queries.