Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oil change question  (Read 4748 times)

rtbasey

Re: Oil change question
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »

I appreciate all the responses...it would seem that all agree that an oil reading of the middle of the stick indicators is where you want it.  I still find this odd to me as every other vehicle I have had prefers that you run it at the full mark.  On an air cooled motorcycle, you would think running at full capacity would be especially important...but then there are the negatives of running at an overfilled state.  Has Harley poorly made the length of this dip stick?  Reading the oil level should be a no brainer when you follow HARLEY'S instructions...not something learned by trial and error.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »

I appreciate all the responses...it would seem that all agree that an oil reading of the middle of the stick indicators is where you want it.  I still find this odd to me as every other vehicle I have had prefers that you run it at the full mark.  On an air cooled motorcycle, you would think running at full capacity would be especially important...but then there are the negatives of running at an overfilled state.  Has Harley poorly made the length of this dip stick?  Reading the oil level should be a no brainer when you follow HARLEY'S instructions...not something learned by trial and error.

Not sure what the Wide Glide manual indicates but, this is right out of the CVO Ultra manual: "Oil level on a cold engine should never be above the midway point."  On a hot engine it indicates that only enough oil should be added to bring it up to the full mark.  As mentioned in the other posts, it is not a good idea to run it at the full mark.  Best to be below the full mark.  Harley V Twins are not like auto engines and run a sump crankcase and the oil you are checking is what is in the oil tank/reservoir not the crankcase.  Indeed motorcycles are a "learned" experience not "no brainer"  JMO  :)
Do it now!

rtbasey

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »

The Dyna manual reads the same.  They shouldn't tell you to add to the full mark it that is too much.  Just sayin.... :nixweiss:

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »

The Dyna manual reads the same.  They shouldn't tell you to add to the full mark it that is too much.  Just sayin.... :nixweiss:

Agreed.  It shouldn't take a few oil changes to get the hang of it.
Do it now!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 26 queries.