Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 CVO Roadglide suspension issues.  (Read 2758 times)

bowielms99

2012 CVO Roadglide suspension issues.
« on: September 26, 2013, 07:14:33 PM »

Looking for help.  I ride a 2012 CVO Roadglide with 19,000 miles on it.  It rode great for the first 15,000 to 16,000 miles then the thing started to feel like I was riding a rigid with no suspension when I hit pretty much any bump.  The HD put a new set or rear OEM shocks on it, it still feels the same and the ride is very harsh and pounds on the bumps even with the pre-load backed completely off.  Wondering if any others have had this issue and what the fix is, I want riding this beautiful Maple Metallic Brown Glide to be fun again.

Chris

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: 2012 CVO Roadglide suspension issues.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:21:02 PM »

bowielms99,
Since your post/thread is of a technical question I moved it to the appropriate board so you may get answers to your question instead of welcome aboard posts. If you wish you may start another (nontechnical) thread in the New Member Introduction board and introduce yourself.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

bowielms99

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »

Thanks,  I'm new to this forum business.  After reading a bunch of posts I think that I'm not alone with this frustrating problem.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »

Looking for help.  I ride a 2012 CVO Roadglide with 19,000 miles on it.  It rode great for the first 15,000 to 16,000 miles then the thing started to feel like I was riding a rigid with no suspension when I hit pretty much any bump.  The HD put a new set or rear OEM shocks on it, it still feels the same and the ride is very harsh and pounds on the bumps even with the pre-load backed completely off.  Wondering if any others have had this issue and what the fix is, I want riding this beautiful Maple Metallic Brown Glide to be fun again.

Chris

Is it possible that with 15-16K on it the rear tire is shot affecting your ride?

I ask as the shocks have been replaced so in theory that should eliminate the shocks. Tire, seat, swing arm bushings... not much to it. Any chance the front is riding worse and it feels like the rear?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Tuneso

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »

I had the same problem....  I had mine in the shop a few times and they couldn't find a thing wrong with it. I knew that the bike's handling had been degraded from when I first purchased it.  Anyway on a whim I replaced my tires even though I still had a fair amount of thread remaining.  Well that did it.... The tires looked great, still had meat on them but at 17,000 they were done.

I might add prior to replacing the tires my confidence in the bike was shot

Good luck

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »

Is it possible that with 15-16K on it the rear tire is shot affecting your ride?

I ask as the shocks have been replaced so in theory that should eliminate the shocks. Tire, seat, swing arm bushings... not much to it. Any chance the front is riding worse and it feels like the rear?

That's a great suggestion.  I know it made a huge difference with the ride of my car.
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 12:17:25 PM »

If you're riding with the preload backed all the way off, you're bottoming out over every little bump. 

Sent from my iPad, probably while I'm pooping.
The best you've had is the best you know.

bowielms99

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I do have a new rear tire on it and it does not seem to have made any difference,  as far as the shock pre-load I have adjusted and searched for the elusive sweet spot to no avail.  It does seem that it is in both ends of the bike, hopefully they will find something in the shop when it goes in this week.  I am not looking to point fingers at the Motor Co.....   I just want my bike back they way it was, it used to ride good, now it beats the tar out of me.  Very frustrating for such a beautiful bike that is no fun to ride.

RGKen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRXSE Skunk
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »

What does the 2012 CVO RG come with as the stock front suspension? 

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:18 PM »

'Would recommend the HD Premium Double Cartridge Forks.

When I got the '09 SERG in 6/12, changed the air shocks over to the spring shocks that came on your '12, and it was a significant improvement, but not where it needed to be. 'Added the Premium Cartridge Forks, that made all the difference in the world!

With any good suspension, the front and rear have to play well together.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Gnarl78

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 10:47:39 PM »

I had a similar issue with my '08 CVO Ultra. After a 2,100 mile trip and hitting a few pot holes, etc. the ride was terrible. I played around with the air preload. I ended up replacing the HD air shocks with a set of Suspension Technologies shocks; and the front suspension with Progressive Monotubes. While I was at it put a Bagger Brace in. Bike rides and handles great - totally different (much better) - and it has improved my confidence and enjoyment riding it.
'08 FLHTCUSE3
'05 VRSCSE
'03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.