Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome oil cooler adapter  (Read 5836 times)

gaturg

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
Chrome oil cooler adapter
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »

Has anyone found the HD part number for a chrome oil cooler adapter for their oil cooler or a compatible chrome adapter?

Thanks for the help
Allen

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Re: Chrome oil cooler adapter
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »

I was not aware that Breakouts have an oil cooler. I added the HD Premium Oil Cooler, which had an adapter that installs behind the oil filter and is kinda hidden behind it and not easy to see. Is that what you are referring to?  Do you have more info on the adapter on your bike?

gaturg

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

Hey Cam,

That's what I was referring to, sorry if I confused everyone. Was trying to see if Harley made that adapter assembly that the filter goes on in chrome. Just may have to get that piece in granite, which is the same color as our bike. Jagg makes one but it's not chrome.

Allen

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »

Someone in the aftermarket makes a 2 piece chrome Billet one just can't remember who. Might be Jagg

gaturg

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:43 PM »

Thanks for the info, I'll be checking that out.

Allen

ematicic

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 Break Out
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 07:43:30 PM »

I was not aware that Breakouts have an oil cooler. I added the HD Premium Oil Cooler, which had an adapter that installs behind the oil filter and is kinda hidden behind it and not easy to see. Is that what you are referring to?  Do you have more info on the adapter on your bike?

Cam, do you have a pic of your oil cooler? Was thinking of the JIMS parade fan. Does it help when locked up in traffic? Mine was shutting off and overheating even driving around at 50 Degs once I got stuck in bad traffic, (1 hour a mile traffic for an hour).

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 08:08:17 PM »

I don't have a good picture. Here's the best shot I have:

I also have the wpw cooling fans (picture attached). I had no problems at all with overheating even in 90+ degree weather (well I personally did, but the bike was fine! ;)

andrew pasquale

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »

When I bought  an oil cooler kit from HD for my 04 it came with a chrome mount and was priced  around 4 to 5 hundred bucks. I am not sure that it is still avail.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »

Fueling sells a chrome sandwich style filter adaptor for late model Harley's for use with an oil cooler, similar in appearance to the painted Jagg adaptor, but it doesn't have a thermostat built in.  Unless you only ride in tropical climates, I would not recommend running a cooler without a thermostat.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

bmc123

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »

I'm curious to know why a thermostat would be needed, I would think you would want your oil to cooled continuously.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »

The thermostat ensures that the engine reaches the operating temperature before allowing the oil to flow through the oil cooler. Without it it may take a while for the engine to warm up enough to operate as designed.

bmc123

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 12:58:56 PM »

TKS

simjoheva

• All honor belongs Jesus Christ
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 01:10:55 PM »

I don't have a good picture. Here's the best shot I have:

I also have the wpw cooling fans (picture attached). I had no problems at all with overheating even in 90+ degree weather (well I personally did, but the bike was fine! ;)

Hi, what is the part number of the windshield? Thx

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »

I'm curious to know why a thermostat would be needed, I would think you would want your oil to cooled continuously.

The oil can be too cool, not just too hot.  Motor oil collects moisture and other combustion byproducts in normal operation, and if that moisture is allowed to accumulate and react over time it creates acids.  Acid in your engine is not a good thing.  So you need to have your motor oil get up to normal operating temperature and then stay there to not only be in the designed viscosity range, but to also drive off any moisture and volatile materials (fuel, etc.).  In cooler climates it can be a problem if you take short rides and never get the oil up to normal operating temps, and that problem would be worse if you had an oil cooler installed that always ran the oil through the cooler.  Thus the need for a thermostat.  The ones Harley uses start to send oil to the cooler when the oil gets up to approximately 180°F.  Btw, normal operating temperature is 230°F +.  Some coolers in the old days used a leather or naugahyde cover to prevent over cooling instead of a thermostat.  An automatic thermostat is a better idea, trust me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »

Hi, what is the part number of the windshield? Thx

If you are talking about the windshield in the picture above, that's an optical illusion! That windshield is in fact on the fatboy parked behind my bike and it's a HD quick release windshield.

I have an Arlen Ness Wide Glide fairing on my bike below.

Cam

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 25 queries.