Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: possible chrome issue?  (Read 3375 times)

King2013

possible chrome issue?
« on: February 19, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »

I was starting to clean the bike in anticipation of spring (I know a long way to go, but only getting in 400 miles all of last year sucked) and i noticed done putting or fine bubbling in the chrome on the front wheel. I'm almost afraid to inspect the rest of the wheel(s). after my discovery i put the rag down and called the quits.
is this a common issue with CVO wheels or am i over reacting? is this a warranty that Harley will take care of?
with my luck the chrome will start peeling during the riding season.
here's a picture, any advise?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: possible chrome issue?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:20:03 PM »

They absolutely should take care of it and unless there is something else going on I'm sure they will
Alan

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 06:33:14 AM »

Chrome peeling on wheels (amongst other items) has been around/known for awhile (at least since '04 to my knowledge). I and many others had that issue... mine was the front wheel.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Akicita

• Full CVO Member
    • SD

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 10:10:16 AM »

I don't feel so alone now.  After the first hand-wash at the house I thought someone pranced by and scattered glitter in my general direction.  Took a closer look at the rear wheel and the culprit(s) was the chrome having a meltdown/let-go.  Dealer ordered a new one most ricky-tick.  Haven't had the problem resurface (no pun intended), but keep my fingers crossed.  Mine is a 2013 FLHTCUSE8.
Na sloigh as feart san gcruinne A muirn a mire a bhfighnamh; Ni comhnairt bheith ' na bhfeagmhais: Ni h-eibhneas gan Chlainn Domhnall

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 11:20:19 AM »

It's a Warranty Issue they will take care of it.
DND

mark

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 12:48:32 PM »

Apparently chrome and aluminum do not play well together.  Seems it is always chrome plated aluminum that causes us problems.  I've had the same issues, but not on wheels.  Make sure you're not storing harsh chemicals where you store your bike.  Fertilizers and pool chemicals can wreak havoc on metals and chrome.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 01:05:33 PM »

Aluminum is in fact harder to plate than steel, but that's not an acceptable excuse for Harley to keep having chrome problems with their wheels, mirrors, and other chromed aluminum parts.  When done properly, in a properly controlled process, plating on aluminum is durable.  When done on the cheap, in poorly controlled processes, the plating is prone to rapid failure.  Guess which approach Harley takes, top quality or cheap procurement cost?

Harley should take care of the problem under warranty.  Be prepared however for the "salt air" BS excuse they have used on so many others who live near one of the oceans.  I've even heard of them trying to pull that crap on a guy who lived in Atlanta.  Last time I looked at a map Atlanta isn't exactly a beach community.

Jerry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:08:05 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafan

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:32:49 PM »

I have a2010 ultra , rear wheel peeled dealer took photos sent them to harley.it was  covered  by warranty.If they do and you have enough mileage on tire spring for a tire and save the labor cost for mounting.

King2013

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:53 PM »

Chrome peeling on wheels (amongst other items) has been around/known for awhile (at least since '04 to my knowledge). I and many others had that issue... mine was the front wheel.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

it is the front wheel. i guess I'll be checking the rear one this weekend before heading to the dealer.
its not peeling yet but those pits/bubbles is definitely an indication that its going to peel. they're are so small I'm surprised I even spotted them.
I'm pretty sure the dealer will tell me that its nothing and its normal just like the ticking at start up.
thanks for the responses.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »

it is the front wheel. i guess I'll be checking the rear one this weekend before heading to the dealer.
its not peeling yet but those pits/bubbles is definitely an indication that its going to peel. they're are so small I'm surprised I even spotted them.
I'm pretty sure the dealer will tell me that its nothing and its normal just like the ticking at start up.

Yup, if you have a typical (average) dealership then I have no doubt they will try to blow it off.  Don't let them jerk you around, call Harley corporate customer service and make an official complaint.  The longer you wait the more likely they will try to blame the problem on something you did or on your local environment.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:17:40 AM »

Don' t wait for it to get worse.  Get on it right now!  It's harder the longer you wait.  The wheels should be perfect for the price you paid!!
Do it now!

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »

The MoCo gave me a new front wheel for my '05 SEEG even though it was out of the factory warranty by almost a year. The new replacement has peeled 10x worse than the original... 
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

King2013

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 11:09:54 PM »

The MoCo gave me a new front wheel for my '05 SEEG even though it was out of the factory warranty by almost a year. The new replacement has peeled 10x worse than the original... 

oh great. that comment don't make feel any better about getting it replaced now.
the last thing i want is something that's worse.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.