Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 1443 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Spark Plugs
« on: December 11, 2006, 05:25:33 PM »

I figure it's about time to change the plugs in my scoot with the 10K service coming up.  Stock motor, stock wires, Rinehart True Duals, PCIII, and a good tune running A/F ratio of 13.4 to 1 accross the RPM ranges (give or take .2)

Recommended Plugs?  All things being "normal", real life recommended change intervals?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:37:17 PM »

Terry,
Don't ask me where I've read it here, but I believe that it is recommended that we stick w/what the MoCo has in/recommended we use for our bikes. I do keep a spare set (guess it's from old carb days) in my saddlebag, but w/EFI I don't think there is the need/problem that occurs w/carbs (fouling) to have to change them more then what the MoCo recommends. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] If memory serves me correctly I think it has been noted that there has been more trouble then not when people have tried different plugs (split/SE/etc) vs stock.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »

Well Terry, I'll confuse the issue.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 05:45:46 PM by BLM777 »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »

Autolite plugs.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 06:42:19 PM »

I like the Screamin Eagle Platinum plugs gapped to the max for a nice fat spark ! I also index em when I'm feeling ambitious.

B B

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 06:43:07 PM »

Spark Plugs for Twin Cam Engines
Plug Gap .040"

H-D Standard
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »

The OEM plug works.therefore IIABDFI (if it ain't broke,dont fix it) But...Autolite makes a good plug
for me http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about/index.asp?nav=20000&country=US is what i will try when its time.
Most important thing isnt brand as much as "indexing" the both plugs correctly and equally. This is done with index shims to get plugs to tighten in the position to allow commencement of flame front to start so as to burn mixture from center of cylinder outward and thus downward. In other words if the plug tip of one cylinderfaces the cylinderwall in one cylinder and the center in the other...piston will try to move away from explosion in a lateral way rather than DOWN.. which is the prefered direction.  there is a billet indexing tool avail to check and index the plugs. depending on where the thread cut was started ...plugs will usually come tight in several locations and thus the 3 different thickness "index shims"  Moroso makes the shims.  We would get 15% more top horsepower on the v-8 and v-12's when indexing.  the best sweet spot is found naturally when the heads are off and plug is located for spark path to maximize burn.    just my .02
Gene
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »

The OEM plug works.therefore IIABDFI (if it ain't broke,dont fix it) But...Autolite makes a good plug
for me http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about/index.asp?nav=20000&country=US is what i will try when its time.
Most important thing isnt brand as much as "indexing" the both plugs correctly and equally. This is done with index shims to get plugs to tighten in the position to allow commencement of flame front to start so as to burn mixture from center of cylinder outward and thus downward. In other words if the plug tip of one cylinderfaces the cylinderwall in one cylinder and the center in the other...piston will try to move away from explosion in a lateral way rather than DOWN.. which is the prefered direction.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 09:52:07 PM »

I'm queer for NGK so I use their Iridium plus.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 11:20:50 PM »

I whole heartdly agree  split fire's absolutly su#%k bad.  had many vette customers insist on em and every one came back and got ngk's whining about how they spent 7.50 ea for the splits and how they got ripped. I had a old champion plug machine that had a coil and magnifiying window that we checked each plugs actual spark with it. `the difference between a good running engine and a great running engine starts with the ole sparkpins...
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 11:38:01 AM »

I've always been partial to NGK as well...think I'll give them a try at 10K.

Has anyone actually done a dyno test to see whether indexing towards the intake or exhaust works better on the 103 motor.  If not, it seems like the logical thing to do is just make certain the ground is open to the chamber  and not blocking.

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 11:45:19 AM »

I've been planning to try indexing the plugs on my 103, but so far I can't find indexing washers for a 12mm plug.  Moroso makes flat or tapered washers for 14mm plugs.  Anybody got a source?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 06:02:24 PM »

I've been planning to try indexing the plugs on my 103, but so far I can't find indexing washers for a 12mm plug.

TTS Mastertune

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »

thats the purpose of the tool it allows you to go to your fav parts house where your young crotch-rocket counter guy is and together the both of ya carefully open 20-30 plugs and then you buy all those that index the same  i do that and then dont need the washers. it starts with a known plug touqued in the hand held block of aluminum. I will check for the 12mm shims
gene    

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 07:01:45 PM »

I have a call into tech support of ngk about the 12mm shims. will post response 8-5 est

gene

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.