Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CVO Breakout BCM Question  (Read 1664 times)

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
CVO Breakout BCM Question
« on: March 30, 2014, 07:31:46 PM »

The CVO Breakout does not have the front turn signal multilock connector on the right side under the tank like the Standard Breakout does.  So, I've taken on this project of installing the front turn signal wiring harness like the Standard has and moving my turn signals off the bars and to the forks.

Took the rear wheel off to get to the BCM.  Found the two open slots for the left and right turn signals (J2 & J4) and installed a pin for the left and one for the right turn signals and ran these two wires to the multilock connector.  Tapped into the running lights wire and ran two to the multilock along with two ground wires.  Put everything back together, hit the run switch.  I have running lights but no left and right turn.

When installing the pins in the BCM, I didn't have the right crimper tool so needle nose pliers were used.  They seemed to slide in all the way, but this sure could be the problem.

Question:  Does the BCM need to be calibrated to tell it to emit these signals?  If not, then I'm sure that it's the pins that were not installed in the BCM correctly.

If I need a crimper tool:  HD-50120, 2,3 & 4  Where is the most economical place to locate one.

Last question:  Is there an easier way of getting to the BCM wiring connection rather than removing the rear wheel?  PITA!

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

24v

• Junior CVO Member
Re: CVO Breakout BCM Question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?  I would do that.  Then try the 4 way flashers for a few minutes to see if that does it.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 10:10:31 AM »

I'll give that a try 24v.  Hope it's something simple.

Cowboy

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »

I found this...

"After the connections have been made, you hook your battery back up, turn the ignition on and let your hazard lights run for 10-15 blinks. Not sure how this works, but by doing that it sends a signal to the bike that there are no longer any lights connected to the switch housing....and it re-learns the lights at their new location in the auxiliary plug."

Here.....

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/756569-softail-blackline-turn-signal-relocation.html

The Blackline and Breakout use the same wiring, so I would assume this is the same for you?

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 03:24:54 PM »

Before I was able to read your message, I started the bike up for a few minutes.  After a couple of minutes, I noticed an odor of the electrical wires getting hot somewhere.  On closer inspection, the odor was coming from the switch housing on the handlebars.  I'm not sure why, everything seems to be working except my front turn signals.  The running light connection is working fine on my new connector.

Tried the Hazard Flashers, didn't help, but maybe I was too late in doing so.  I hate electrical problems.

Cowboy

24v

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »

Are you sure you didn't somehow leave the wires touching inside the switch housing when you removed the signals?

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.