Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tire alternatives for 13 CVO RK  (Read 2512 times)

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
Tire alternatives for 13 CVO RK
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »

Are there alternatives (other than Dunlop) for Road King....that low profile front tire makes it difficult to find something.
2018 CVO StreetGlide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tire alternatives for 13 CVO RK
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

Are there alternatives (other than Dunlop) for Road King....that low profile front tire makes it difficult to find something.

Front:  130/60B19  61H
Rear:   180/55B18  80H

Both front and rear are "oddball" sizes that aren't offered by Continental, Michelin, Metzler, or Pirelli.  The occasional alternatives for the 18" rear that have been offered up around here all fail to meet the load rating requirements, since they were designed for sport bikes and not heavy touring bikes, and the rim width recommendations when mounted on the stock CVO wheels since they were designed for wider rims.

The potential volume of tire sales on the affected CVO models is obviously not big enough to convince other tire companies to design and tool up to build a tire that fits the stock rim and meets the load requirements.  I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting for an acceptable alternative.  Harley knew exactly what they were doing when they chose wheel and tire sizes for those bikes.  You are now locked into buying your replacements from them.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »

Thank you....that is what I thought...UGH :soapbox:
2018 CVO StreetGlide

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 05:26:25 PM »

I am thinking we run a car tire and screw Harley!(insert sarcasm icon here!) :huepfenlol2:
T-MAN 117 kit

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »

Another alternative would be to find some unsuspecting soul with a non-CVO bike and sell him your wheels and tires, then buy wheels in a size that lets you choose from a wide selection of tires from multiple brands.  The only thing that has you guys locked in to the scam is those CVO wheels.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 09:16:11 PM »

Another alternative would be to find some unsuspecting soul with a non-CVO bike and sell him your wheels and tires, then buy wheels in a size that lets you choose from a wide selection of tires from multiple brands.  The only thing that has you guys locked in to the scam is those CVO wheels.

Jerry
I like your idea better, look for a post in selling soon but don't tell anyone what they are in for. Seriously though, it has kept my throttle hand in check knowing I am at the mercy of my local stealer.
T-MAN 117 kit

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:44:36 PM »

What'd wrong with the stock Dunlops? I think overall they work great..
Alan

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 07:58:58 AM »

No problems with the tires, just Dunlop's decision to make them a Harley only exclusive part and having to pay $80 to $100 installation on top of retail for the tire. On my Heritage I bought both tires and had them mounted by an independent shop for what the dealer wanted for just the back.
T-MAN 117 kit

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »

No problems with the tires, just Dunlop's decision to make them a Harley only exclusive part and having to pay $80 to $100 installation on top of retail for the tire. On my Heritage I bought both tires and had them mounted by an independent shop for what the dealer wanted for just the back.
[/quote
Here in St. Louis it is very dependent on which dealer you go to.

St. Charles HD and Doc's HD are TWICE the price of Gateway HD and Surdyke HD. Gateway is normally the cheapest. I asked Gateway HD why they were so much less expensive and they said they use tire prices to build opportunity volume their shop.

He said you never know when someone needs new tires but is considering other work. He said it has been a great strategy for them.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:06:17 AM »

Understand
Alan

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:47:20 AM »

What'd wrong with the stock Dunlops? I think overall they work great..

'Had 3 rears scalloping around 5k miles, 'had ESP replace them when I had ESP on the '09 SERG.
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »

I talked to a Dunlop rep at a Az bike week event yesterday.  The 2013 anniversary addition road king has a front tire that is unique.  It is a different in size from the other 2013 cvo road kings!  Given the limited number of bikes using this tire, Dunlop only makes one tire that will fit.  Suggest you learn to love it.

We also talked about their flagship 402 being replaced by the American Elite series.  They claim better wear, gas mileage and grip. Better grip and wear? 
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

I talked to a Dunlop rep at a Az bike week event yesterday.  The 2013 anniversary addition road king has a front tire that is unique.  It is a different in size from the other 2013 cvo road kings!  Given the limited number of bikes using this tire, Dunlop only makes one tire that will fit.  Suggest you learn to love it.

We also talked about their flagship 402 being replaced by the American Elite series.  They claim better wear, gas mileage and grip. Better grip and wear?
I'd be happy with the tires if the rear would stop scalloping...
'Have the GlidePro Bushings installed in the '09 SERG, 'haven't had a chance to try them out yet...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 25 queries.