Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: front wheel wobble  (Read 1979 times)

jimsfatboy2

• Junior CVO Member
front wheel wobble
« on: March 02, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »

I have a 2013 Harley Davidson fatboy. I have a problem where the front wheel wobbles on deceleration. I have had it to harley on two occcasions and they said they tightened head bearings, but keeps happening. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Snakebyte

• Full CVO Member
Re: front wheel wobble
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:24:28 PM »

What is your tire pressure compared to what it says on the Sid wall?

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »

Using the front brake?  If so it may be a warped rotor, if GRC doesn't catch this, send him a PM, he can definitely suggest some things to look for.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

jimsfatboy2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:02:41 PM »

brand new 2013 fatboy....happened from get go..only 2000 miles on bike..bought in september

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »

Loose steering neck bearing.
RETIRED! :fireman:

Bike30

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 03:07:27 AM »

Does anybody bother to do a rim/tire/brake disc radial runout check any more?

Does anybody balance tires with something besides a balance bar through the wheel axle?

The answer is yes…find them is my suggestion.

A proper steering bearing adjustment isn't a fix for other potential issues that need to be addressed first. But it is important.

From an old biker just a rant (you kids stay off my yard! etc)

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »

Bike30,

I have had both rims checked for run out for the diameter and height.  I was actually surprised that they were well within spec.  If I didn't see it performed in person I would never have believed it.  Last fall I put her away with a rear tire scalloping issue and high speed wobbles.  This all started when the dealership replaced the swingarm components and did their alignment process under warranty.  When I removed the swingarm components I could not believe the poor condition they were in for such a short period of time.  I checked the alignment using the instructional video from Glide Pro before & after the parts installation.  After the dealership did their thing I checked  the wheels for being parallel and found that the laser lines actually crossed over each other.  No wonder the tires did not last and the ride was so poor.  For the last week I have been doing the alignment process following the videos from Glide Pro and have the wheels running parallel with the frame level & all brake rotors are near 90 degrees.  Really had to move both alignment bolts significantly.  Still fine tuning for perfection as the weather will keep me from giving it a test.  I'm always open to methods that may improve the handling of my Road King.    Since it was so far off and corrected per the video I expect to have it handle better than ever.  Been thinking about getting my own No Mar tire tool with the static balancer as I have no faith in any dealership.  Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Bike30

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 12:04:58 AM »

That laser setup has my interest, I've read about it before. Will also look up the Glide Pro info. Thanks for the details.

kojack

• gearhead!
  • Senior CVO Member
    • NL

• CVO1: 2001 Sceamin eagle road glide (custom)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 07:48:10 AM »

Im opening a shop here this year,  im getting a proper tire mounter and motorised balancer.  well worth the investment.  Im thinking its a balancing problem.  even tho my father in laws e-glide does the same thing.
Mavericks RC
MFFM