Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: primary fluid capacitys  (Read 9371 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: primary fluid capacitys
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »

Ask GMR on this site about the Bandit clutch, they've indicated they install a lot of them.  They can also talk to you about the Compensaver device.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=3628

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 05:14:59 PM »

Ask GMR on this site about the Bandit clutch, they've indicated they install a lot of them.  They can also talk to you about the Compensaver device.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=3628

Jerry

X2  :2vrolijk_21: GMR is putting a Bandit clutch and Compensaver in my bike along with some other goodies right now. I hope to be picking it up real soon (maybe this week).

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »

Look into the Compensaver!  :2vrolijk_21:
got one  ;)
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 07:12:35 PM »

I used to try to measure the exact amounts when I changed the primary fluid, and the levels were never the same.  Just do as others have recommended; fill to the base of the clutch ring.  At least it's consistent.

Speaking of metal in the primary, this picture is from the primary drain plug on my '12 SG.  The general consensus is "this is normal", but I can't imagine all that metal flying around in the primary is normal, or good for the moving parts.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »

I used to try to measure the exact amounts when I changed the primary fluid, and the levels were never the same.  Just do as others have recommended; fill to the base of the clutch ring.  At least it's consistent.

Speaking of metal in the primary, this picture is from the primary drain plug on my '12 SG.  The general consensus is "this is normal", but I can't imagine all that metal flying around in the primary is normal, or good for the moving parts.

I always get a good laugh when Harley shops try to tell folks something is "normal".  There are a ton of things on a Harley that are "normal", as in it happens a lot, but that doesn't mean those things are acceptable or that they meet industry standards.  What that really means is that they see that same thing a lot, they have no clue how to fix it, and even if they did have a clue they don't plan to spend the money to fix it.

All you have to do is look at the pictures of all the compensators people have posted and you will see exactly where all that metal is coming from.  Harley can spew BS all they want, but all that severe wear is far from acceptable.  But it is normal, as long as you understand normal just means it's a very common problem that they don't plan to address.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 07:29:14 PM »

:'( !!

Do it now!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 08:45:04 PM »

Yeah, I kind of messed that one up; should have also mentioned the higher capacity specs for the later models.  I would be unhappy with a dealership that said they just automatically dump in 32 ounces in a 2007 and later bike, but that is in fact a good amount for the 2006 and earlier bikes. 

The best method is still to fill to the bottom edge of the clutch spring regardless.  As for the dealers blowing smoke up a customer's butt about the amount required, with nothing in writing to back them up, that stopped surprising me within the first couple years of buying my first Harley.  BS seems to be the official language at the typical Harley operation.  And if I read that OP correctly, even H-D wouldn't give him a straight answer?  That is really sad when the folks who make the product can't answer a simple question like fluid capacity.  If Harley had officially changed the capacity, it should be reflected in the current model owner manuals and shop manuals.  I don't remember anyone saying it had changed from the 38/45 that was listed in 2007. :nixweiss:

Jerry
What? No way Jerry ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.