Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Six week old tire explodes  (Read 2533 times)

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
Six week old tire explodes
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »

She didn't make it.......................
Basically a new tire, improperly inflated, no helmets. I didn't know these folks, but got the details from a friend who rides with them.  Rapid deflation caused total loss of control at highway speed. There is a lesson (or two) here brothers and sisters..........OWL

I-75 Tire Blowout Leaves Motorcyclist And Passenger With Serious Injuries
PORT CHARLOTTE, FL. -- A male motorcycle driver and female passenger were injured in a crash Sunday afternoon about 1:02 p.m. on I-75 near Punta Gorda.

The motorcyclist was traveling south on Interstate 75 in the outside lane near the 165 mile marker. The rear tire of the motorcycle experienced a blow out. The motorcycle then began to exit the paved portion of the roadway to the west and onto the paved shoulder.

The motorcycle then overturned onto its left side. Due to their injuries, the driver was transported by ground to Peace River Regional and the passenger was transported by air to Lee Memorial Hospital.

Driver and passenger information being withheld until families can be notified of injuries said FHP Trooper Derek Daniels.

Posted by  Don Browne     at  6:12 PM
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Six week old tire explodes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »

you only have 2 wheels between you and the ground.  always take the couple of minutes to make sure that your tires are good/properly inflated.

sorry to hear.

but, if the tire is blown out, how do they know it was improperly inflated?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »

it is an assumption of course, the forensics have not been released, and may never be, but your point is well taken.  I suppose there are some other ways this could happen, improper inflation being Occam's Razor.

OWL
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:29:27 PM by owl893 »
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »

Could be many possible causes, from a defective tire to using a tire of the wrong size to improper installation that damaged the bead for instance.  And of course there is always the possibility of road debris cutting the tire which would lead to sudden deflation. 

Odds are no one will do any forensics unless the owner of the bike or his insurance company wants to try to place blame and sue for damages.  Your local law enforcement folks won't bother.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:31:39 PM »

Very sad news. Praying for there recovery.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:55:34 PM »

Could be many possible causes, from a defective tire to using a tire of the wrong size to improper installation that damaged the bead for instance.  And of course there is always the possibility of road debris cutting the tire which would lead to sudden deflation. 

Odds are no one will do any forensics unless the owner of the bike or his insurance company wants to try to place blame and sue for damages.  Your local law enforcement folks won't bother.

Jerry
Sad but true.  Friend of mine had a horrible crash about ten years ago on his Goldwing.  Only because of the dedicated efforts of another friend he was riding with was the cause determined.  Bike went into a tank slapper doing about 80 and resulted in loss of control.  Now this was with a very experienced rider who was also an MSF rider coach.  Finally determined the cause was a defective tire - did not deflate but had some defect.  I cannot recall what it was exactly.  In any case it just was not economically feasible to pursue a claim legally as no one wanted to take it on contingency and the insurance company just paid off and washed their hands of it.  Unfortunate as the rider nearly lost his life but he did recover after many weeks hospitalization. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »

Good to hear he recovered. :2vrolijk_21:

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »

Very sad, preflight checks are always worth their time.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2 ROSE

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Convertible aka “Rose”...my one and only.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »

Hmmm...some scary stuff. I go to take the Harley to work yesterday and notice the rear tire is low. I do not have an air pump so I am buying one today to see if it will hold air pressure. Not sure how it happened. Going to talk to the Harley dealer to see when they can take care of it. A new tire cost $280.00 plus installation.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »

Jerry

Exactly. Even if someone wanted to pay for forensics, the truth may never be known.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 01:10:42 AM »

-Had a similar experience myself on I-90 years ago. 
Wife & I left our motel room packed up on our ElectraGlide and I noticed we scraped the muffler a bit leaving the parking lot.  -Didn't pay much attention to it at the time.
About 5 mi. down the interstate I noticed the bike wasn't handling right so I pulled over and checked the tires.  The rear tire was pretty much flat.  I pumped it up -couldn't find a nail- and proceeded cautiously at a reduced speed. 
Went about another 10 mi. when I smelled burnt rubber (doing about 65) when BANG!
The tire blew.  We were all over both lanes of the highway.  Somehow I was able to keep the bike up and pulled to the shoulder.
Looking back, I should have paid more attention to that muffler scraping. 
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.