Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transmission cover bolt size and can I use a ball driver to tighten?  (Read 2060 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF

Hi,
Have a 2012 RK 103 and just came across a article on checking the 2 lower transmission cover/ exhaust hanger bolts. I would like to do so w/o taking off the heat shield.

What size is the allen bolt and can I get in there with a long ball driver?

Bolts I'm talking are number 2 and 3 in the diagram:

Also the service bulletin is M1305
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:28:13 AM by JjR »
JR

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
Re: Transmission cover bolt size and can I use a ball driver to tighten?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:27:51 AM »

Also the service bulletin is M1305

JR

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:06:18 PM »

I had this same exact issue on my old 2011 RGU after I installed the V & H Power Duals. I didn't find out about loctiting those 2 bolts until AFTER I put the pipes on and sure enough they started walking out on me and started to leak. Not a picnic, but this worked great for without having to tear the pipes off to do it the easy way.

I first removed/cleaned and drenched both bolts in blue loctite. Then I took a 1/4" allen key and cut it with my dremel and wrenched them in little by little. I put a small piece of tape on the cut allen key to keep it in the head of the bolt. This was a tedious and slow process but it worked like a charm. Not much room at all to work and obviously no way to get a torque wrench in there for final torque so I used the 6 pt. box end of the wrench for final tightening and cranked it good ... problem fixed and it stayed tight after the loctite bath. I wished I had known this BEFORE I had the pipes on cause it would've been gravy then. Good luck.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 10:10:36 PM »

Already got it, I cut down a allen like you said but used a small ratchet wrench that fit the key. it was a breeze to tighten up .Thanks!!

BTW can I get those bolts completely out w/ my stock headers on the bike?

The ratchet I had from a cheap phillips/torque set, it looked close to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Mini-Ratchet-Wrench-CS1013/dp/B005G5R03E

For that price it would be a good addition to the tool box!
JR

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 10:28:16 PM »

Good deal. I can't say for certain about getting your bolts out completely with stock headpipes, but I would have to say yes if you had enough room for a small ratchet cause I didn't with the V&H pipes. I just used a small 1/4" wrench turning about a flat or two at a time when I couldn't turn by my fingers anymore. I say try to remove them so you can loctite them for piece of mind. If not then all you have to do is tighten them down again and keep an eye on them ... sounds like you had an easier time than me with the little ratcher so go for it. 
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

bubtrauma

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:49:41 AM »

lol....... Had the same issue on my 09 classic as well as my friends streetglide. Couldn't figure out where the hot gear oil smell was coming from never any on the ground so I figured to say I tried something, I started to tighten the trans cover and low & behold the two bottom ones were finger tight so was a quick fix.

When later on my friends wife complained about the same thing to her husband I heard them arguing about it and said I could fix it. With that I got a ya right look from them and one morning I was out at the bikes and got down and sure enough his were lose to. So did I ever get points when after some riding and they couldn't smell it anymore I told them I fixed it ............ lol.

Bub
bend it, chop it, cut it, bang it, weld it and paint it to match........

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 01:15:30 PM »

I'm trying to remember, seems the head pipe support bolts which penetrate into the trans are seperate from the cover bolts and under the cover.  My support bolts also came loose on my 2011 Ultra Limited.  I'm running a Fuelmoto 2-1-2 head pipe and was able to get to them by just removing the heat shield.  They are a bit hard to torque back down but you can get to them enough to clean them up, locktite and tighten enough that they have not come loose again.  This might be a bit harder with a stock head pipe as the collector is larger. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:23:40 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.