Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom running/brake light  (Read 8572 times)

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
Custom running/brake light
« on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »

So a while back I was naive enough to attempt to make a custom running/brake light using the existing reflector/bracket from the bike. Well, I am older and wiser now and know enough to NEVER try this again! Anyhoo, I did succeed at long last and here's the pic's of what it took.

Firstly, I ordered a running/flashing brake light from Custom Dynamics. That was the easy part.

Then, I disassembled the said light and removed/cleaned the existing reflector off the bike. I also used a 3D design software to design a custom housing that matched the shape and size of the stock reflector exactly:

I sent the data file for the housing to a 3D printer shop and a week later had the part printed in black ABS:

Since the housing added an additional 5/8" to the depth of the whole light compared to just the reflector lens, I cut the stock bracket by 5/8" and drilled to additional holes to pass the wiring through:

Now, it was time to assemble the whole thing. The toughest part since glue was involved!

Mounted the fender liner back and connected up the wires:

RUnning light:

And Brakes:

Overall, I am very happy with the result. But as I said the whole thing, especially the glue-without-making a mess part, was harder than I expected. So now I have the reflector/running/brake light as an all-in-one unit and the bike looks like before without any physical scars of any kind.

Only one regret:

I wish I could have found an LED strip that was longer since the reflector was wider than the light I purchased from CD. But the next size up would have been too big. Oh well, now that I know what it takes to take the light off and put it back on again, if and when HD sells a unit that actually fits my bike like it should, I can swap it out in a few minutes (ok, more like 30 minutes).

What do you guys think?

Cam

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
Re: Custom running/brake light
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »

What do you guys think?

Cam

[/quote]wow!  That was quite an endeavor.  I'm going another route utilizing the 30 led Stingerz from custom dynamics.  I modified the bracket and utilizing it merely to provide additional support to hold the led strip in place.  So much water gets in that area that I'm afraid the 3M double sided tape may not be sufficient.  I'll throw up some pics after the install, timing it my rear tire change.
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Riggerking

• CVO1: On order 2014 CVO Breakout (Blue)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 06:54:25 AM »

Great job Cam! I like that setup.

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

Cam, I am impressed with your engineering expertise, very well done.

As you know I put the Sportster under fender LED tail light on mine. I thought it was great until people behind me started saying that it was not working. Turns out the Custom Dynamics LED turn signal lights which I had previously installed are nearly 5 times brighter than the Harley Sportster LED tail light.  So much so riders behind me really don’t even see the Sportster under fender LED tail light. In the garage it appears to be the same brightness but out in the sunlight is when you see the difference. 

Does your tail light match the brightness of your turn signal lights or is it noticeably dimmer also?
2013 CVO Breakout
Molten Silver/Black Diamond
2015 CVO Road Glide
Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:53:03 PM »

Thank you for the complement. I have another piece I am working on that, if it works, will solve the issue with the bolts sticking out of the seat when the pillion is taken off.

Cuzco,

As far as the light's brightness, it is dimmer with the CD light (vs HD light you installed) as well because of the number of LED's compared to the turn signal/running/brake light combo. However, it is still visible and flashes on and off during braking for 6 seconds before staying on solid. Also at night, which is my main concern, it is very visible. That being said, I am still looking for a better solution that goes with the lines of the bike and leaves the wheel exposed as is while being as bright as the turn signal pods. Perhaps the solution is what Speedy is attempting to do with the 30-light LED strip from CD.

Cam

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »

What do you guys think?

Cam

[/quote]Here's another option!

The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

CUZCO

• Full CVO Member
    • PreBanArms
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »

That looks like it would be great. The problem with mine is each of the turn signals with the 32 LED lights are so much brighter than the tail light that only has 9 LED's in the sunlight it almost appears that the tail light isn't working.

Part info please.
2013 CVO Breakout
Molten Silver/Black Diamond
2015 CVO Road Glide
Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset

Dead_Reckoning

• Elite CVO Member
  • 03 SERK
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »

I was quite content to spend around $55 for the HD Taillight/Brakelight/Signal Light Module to make them all running lights as well as breaklights and turn signal.
Plug and play

Government is best which governs least.

Power Commander 3 Tuner
Doherty Power PACC with K&N Air Filter
Screamin' Eagle® Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump
Headwinds 2" Bullet Passing Lights 50w'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
Dual Bulb Halogen Headlamp Kit

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:28 AM »

I was quite content to spend around $55 for the HD Taillight/Brakelight/Signal Light Module to make them all running lights as well as breaklights and turn signal.
Plug and play

What HD taillight are you referring to? That is a great price. The only one I know of is the one Cusco used which is around $99.

Also, in my attempt to not give LEO any reason to pull me over, I am hoping to preserve the reflector in the back as it seems to be a requirement in most parts of NA. Hence the design I came up with.

I am lining the inside of the housing on the light I put together with chrome tape to increase the reflectivity. Will post pics when done.

The other option would be to work with Custom Dynamics to design one for the FXSB, which might be economical if enough owners would like to get something that looks right, meets all the requirements, and is bright enough to not wash out in direct sunlight.

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 08:55:55 PM »

Nicely done, looks like a great option. I might have to consider this approach as well, thanks for posting.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

Roadstrdude

• NC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 01:17:34 AM »

I wish I could have found an LED strip that was longer since the reflector was wider than the light I purchased from CD. But the next size up would have been too big. Oh well, now that I know what it takes to take the light off and put it back on again, if and when HD sells a unit that actually fits my bike like it should, I can swap it out in a few minutes (ok, more like 30 minutes).

Cam... I agree... If the housing was longer... and followed the curvature of the top tip of the fender... it would lend itself to house additional LED's...  If a housing could be developed that would connect securely under the fender.... I bet they could develop  an LED panel that would work... (simular to Harley's fender tip used on the V-Rod...)

lrdean

• NY

• CVO1: 2013 Black Diamond, Molten Silver, Crushed Slate Graphics
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »

What do you guys think?

Cam

Here's another option!

Have you seen this tail light for sale anywhere?

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »

http://plaza.rakuten.co.jp/bossnews/diary/201309180000/

It says 28500 yens ($280!!) but currently not available. Looks to me like it's just an LED strip. Looks good, though.

Cam

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 06:49:01 PM »

Option at customdynamics......

http://www.customdynamics.com/softail_breakout_led_brakelight.htm

Finally!!! I may replace my homemade one with one of these!

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.