Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Rash  (Read 1352 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Road Rash
« on: May 20, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »

My cousin's son lost control of his Dyna Glide at a high rate of speed.  Not sure how it happened but from what I was told from those riding with him....seems to be a victim of high speed wobble.

Lucky to be alive.....no helmet...no leathers....just tee-shirt, jeans and tennis shoe.  Rolled and slide over 50 yards.

3 days in ICU and 5 more days wrapped up in bandages from head to waist.  No broken bones, many sprains and bruises....and a lot of road rash.  The photo is from one week after the mishap.

I wanted to share this for two reasons:
1) We all go out and ride without full protection (helmet, leathers, armor, gloves boots).....but when you do....please think twice before going full throttle.
2) I am amazed at how the rash has healed.....They treated him in the burn unit.  He will still be scared...but nothing like what I have seen in the pass.

Just a friendly reminder that "If you ride like there is no tomorrow....there won't be"

Be careful out there.

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
Re: Road Rash
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:04:29 PM »

WOW, woke me up.  Glad he's alive and able to walk. Hope he makes a full recovery. Makes a guy think.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 09:13:22 PM »

He is very lucky and I am glad he is.  I don't back out of my garage without all my gear.  I had one crash and thanks to having all my gear I escaped with only a few minor scrapes.  I am a firm believer in ATGATT - all the gear all the time.  Others may well disagree but as for me and my wife we'd rather be safe than sorry 'cause you never know.  Just sayin'.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

King2013

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:30:46 PM »

Reminded me of how thankful I am to have been wearing all my protective gear when I got hit. I did slide and tumble, not as far as him but enough that my helmet and leather jacket are trashed. My gloves trashed as well, even though they were fingerless saved my palms.
I can't imagine how messed up I would have been.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

Good reminder! Glad he is OK. Wear the gear, you never know when you might black out have a heart attack and hit two pickup trucks!
Ride safe everybody!
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:01:46 AM »

Glad he is alive! That road rash is some painful stuff sounds like the burn unit was the right place for treatment. No question that leathers can do wonders.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:05:06 AM »

Man that hurts just looking at the picture glade he will recover !!!
DND

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:24:54 AM »

I grew up in Northern Illinois and now live in Eastern Pennsylvania....both states do not have helmet laws.  In Pennsylvania I would say that 80% of the riders wear a helmet and in Illinois it seems that 80% of the riders do not.

Not sure why this is the case....other than the fact that when I lived in Illinois,  I did not wear a helmet.  I guess because it was inconvenient and didn't look as cool but  I think it was mostly that nobody else did.  Now living in PA, I wear my helmet all the time.  Maybe it is because I am older.....but in Illinois....age doesn't seem to matter.

I do not agree with helmet laws and feel this is a personal choice....however, I find this interesting that when given a choice.....the huge difference between the Midwest and east coast whether to helmet up or not.

But most of all  "Safety is something that happens between your ears"

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 06:05:23 PM »

Was told when I started riding-"dress for the fall, not for the ride".  Always wear helmet, glasses, gloves, leather jacket and at least heavy jeans if not leather pants.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:36:56 AM »

Bummer....
Bill

stevehd

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 08:10:11 AM »

When I lid my Dyna down, I hit with my left forearm before any other body part.  One of the doctors at the hospital that I was taken to siad that I should have been taken to a trauma unit.  The doctors treated the road rash like they would treat a third degree burn. 

Your cousin's son was lucky to not break any bones while he was rolling.  Hope he heals quickly.
2012 Ruby Red and Typhoon Maroon FLHXSE-3
2014 Black Fxsb
2006 Big Dog Mastiff
1992 Yamaha FL-1200

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.