Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lowering the new FLHTKSE  (Read 2672 times)

mike85120

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Burgandy Blaze
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Tribal Orange....Traded
    • CVO3: 2013 CVO Road King Burgandy Blaze....Sold
lowering the new FLHTKSE
« on: October 31, 2013, 05:34:33 PM »

yesterday I traded my 2013 FLHTCUSE for the new and updated version....I am going to pick up the new bike later today, but I have a question...
When I bought my 13 I had the dealership lower the front and back....I need to do the same on the new bike but the dealership is saying that they are unable to lower the front because it is the larger forks.
How has anyone else solved this problem???

By the way the new bike is a burgundy blaze....sure I hope that I don't regret this decision...the tribal orange was the best bike that I have ever owned....some buyer remorse going on right now. :'(

FLHTCUSE7

Re: lowering the new FLHTKSE
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »

Don't lower it, you will ruin the ground clearance.  Instead get a custom seat that lower your seat height.

KE8LW

• 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »

I consider myself an average height rider and I have to agree that the height of this bike is a bit much. I am only standing 5' 10" so I am no giant and I am struggling backing the bike up in loose gravel and in some areas basically because I am forced to hit the passenger floor boards.  So when you figure out the best way to lower this I will be asking some questions.  BTW - I lowered my '08 in the front and rear, and really compromised the ride and cornering so I am a bit cautious to jump right back into a lower kit from progressive.
2014 FLHTKSE - 110" 96HP / 112 TQ
2008 FLHTCU - 121 HP / 127 TQ 120R
1999 FLHTCUI - 88" slight cam
2004 FXDLI - 88" Bone Stock :(

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 01:03:57 PM »

You could add an air suspension such as Legends or Arnott and drop the rear about 3 inches when you need then pump em back up when you take off. I'm bout 5'6" and this works for me.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »

Lowering the bike (I assume both Harley and the aftermarket will eventually have lowering kits for the new front forks) on both ends may help, but as previously noted there is a fairly serious trade-off in ground clearance, cornering clearance, safety, and ride.  I would suggest looking at a different seat first, plus modifying the passenger footboards to gain some clearance for your legs when trying to move the bike with your feet.  I'm not sure about your current bike, but others on previous models have been able to move the boards back by switching the mounts from side to side. :nixweiss:

If the main problem is backing the bike up, consider a reverse gear like the setup on the Trikes.  There are some threads on the site that discuss various reverse options. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »

Harley sells  lowered front end cartridges. They come standard on the SERK     Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »

Harley sells  lowered front end cartridges. They come standard on the SERK     Billy

They have lowering kits for the older models Billy, but the 2014 has new larger diameter forks and those existing kits won't work.  Right now Harley doesn't list anything to fit the 2014 forks.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »

Jerry, Look at page 375  Part # 45500157 low profile  premium ride single cartridge fork kit      fits 14 touring models  hope this helps The ride on my 14 is great much better than the 07 SERK with Traixion and Bitubos     Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »

Jerry, Look at page 375  Part # 45500157 low profile  premium ride single cartridge fork kit fits 14 touring models  hope this helps The ride on my 14 is great much better than the 07 SERK with Traixion and Bitubos     Billy

:2vrolijk_21: Good catch Billy.  I swear that wasn't in the online catalog when I looked a few days ago.  Or at least I couldn't find it using the Harley site search function.

Jerry

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

....some buyer remorse going on right now. :'(
[/quote]

Hope you get over it, buuttttt, you just traded one of the best looking Harley's ever made  :nervous:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

mike-little

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 11:05:22 PM »

I'm 5'10", and instead of lowering the bike, I pulled the passenger floorboards and swapped sides with them. That makes the offset push them toward the back of the bike instead of toward the front. This takes them out of my way, but the passenger doesn't even notice the difference.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.