Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: heated grips quit working  (Read 3073 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
heated grips quit working
« on: June 18, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »

On my 13 FLHTCUSE8 my heated grips quit working! Worked Friday evening but not Saturday. I have checked the grips fuse and the P&A fuse as well as the ACC fuse and they are all good.

Is there another common problem besides the grips themselves just giving up the ghost?

Bike is still under warranty but dealer cannot get me in until July 2 and that is the day I am leaving for Colorado and I really want my heated grips!

Any suggestions? Manual mentions all these test harness that I do not have for testing farther than the fuse.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
Re: heated grips quit working
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »

I've got the impression that the Harley heated grips fail regularly.  Have read in a few different places that they are prone to failure.  Just another piece that HD cuts corners with. 

I find it to be pure BS that the dealer service won't take you sooner than that.  You just paid $40,000 for their damn product, and they should be bending over backwards to accommodate you.  Let them know that, and find another dealer, if possible.  Besides, going to a  more distant dealer is always a great excuse for a nice long ride.   :2thumbsup:

Dan

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »

yes, call another dealer!!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 08:10:13 AM »

I had HD heated grips on my 04 for 8 years without failure, they have been on my 08 since new without failure but on my 13 they only lasted 13 months! Go figure

I did call another dealer and was given the same line. So I contacted a third dealer that said we can get you in this Friday, I said great! What time do you want me there? They replied just leave it we will get to it sometime! That will not work since that dealer is over an hour away. I contacted a fourth dealer and they said bring it in Wednesday the 25 th at 9 and we will take a look at it.

Since I work Monday through Friday I am having my son take it in on Wednesday for me since he is off that day. But I must say I am leary of this dealer that is getting me in, I have never heard anything good about them.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »

Just get the Heat Demons and no more worries

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »

I haven't studied the schematics for the heated grips wiring harness but I have wondered if there is some sort of protection or shut-off circuitry in there that kill them while cranking but doesn't close the circuit afterwards, requiring you to turn them off manually then back on. I have had to do that several times on my bike, they always come back on but if I leave the grip heaters in the on position they will not work again until I turn them off and back on after a stop.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:10:24 PM »

I do not know about that but I do not recall reading about it in the manual. I have turned mine off and back on several times on different days all to no avail.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 04:24:50 PM »

What else do you have wired to the bike? I just bought a used bike where the previous owner had replaced stock lights with led's and the heated grips and seat were not working. Dealer looked at it and found it wired improperly and the load equalizer not done properly
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »

Never had any problems with HD heated grips. Use them a lot since I live in Northern MN.

Had them on my last four HDs.

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 07:56:31 PM »

Curious about what setting you have them on. Previous reading indicates that they have a short life if turned up high and using a thick glove. I use a thinner glove and a max setting of 3 but usually 2. Gerbing heated gloves might be the way to go if you ride in the cold a lot and thinking of doing the same. Good luck on getting back on the road quickly.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 25 queries.